Can one breathe industrial oxygen

When I lived in Zambia I heard of a couple dangerous situations with O2 bottles. A big one fell over at the waterworks and the valve broke off - it went through the cement block wall like a needle through butter.

In another case a few bottles fell off the back of a welding supply truck. They found one several miles down the road - don't know if they ever found the other 2.

Reply to
clare

Yep, you don't want to be careless with that much stored energy, even if it's inert gas.

Reply to
Pete C.

Oh, poof. That was camera tricks. ;-)

A tank that can hold 2250 PSI would probably laugh at a mere bullet, except for maybe an armor-piercing round. But I'm guessing.

I wonder if anybody's got a definitive answer to that one? Anyone ever actually shot a full scuba tank or other high-pressure gas cylinder?

Once, when I was in the service, I was on a detail with a couple other guys rearranging some storage garage. There was some kind of cylinder up against the wall; one of the guys found a sledge hammer and took a swing at the tank. I almost had a heart attack; I _shrieked_ "NO!!!!!!" and ducked behind some box - I didn't know I could move that fast.

He didn't shatter the tank (Thank Gawd!), but how stupid can some people be?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Mythbusters did. They found the obvious, that a bullet hole makes a nice jet nozzle, but it doesn't cause a catastrophic cylinder failure.

Catastrophic cylinder failure comes from sustained load stress cracking in the aluminum, primarily seen in an older alloy no longer used for the cylinders. Those failures rip sections out of the cylinder and send them flying through anything in their way.

Pretty stupid. The service gets some good people, but they also get a good number of duds who don't have any better life / job opportunities.

Reply to
Pete C.

I wonder if it would tend to make your lungs "lazy," i.e., you only actually need a certain amount of O2, like a partial pressure of 20% or so of atmosphere; breathing pure O2 would make your alveoli not need to work as hard, or am I just blowing smoke up my own ass? ;-D

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Good, and Who's in the Whitehouse?

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's "USP," and therefore costs about 1,000,000 times as much as the stuff that collects in your dehumidifier catch bin.

That, and the government is being run by psychopaths.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In theory you could run the O2 to near empty while still having acetylene pressure and in theory you could get a little acetylene to travel all the way back up the hose to the O2 regulator and perhaps into the tank. All theory, and the flashback preventer check valves would further reduce the chances of it actually happening. In any event the gas supplier is going to vacuum down the cylinder before filling with fresh O2 since putting that O2 on top of some potential mystery gas is a hazard to them.

Reply to
Pete C.

Perhaps part of the pulmonary O2 toxicity that comes with long term pure O2 exposure.

Reply to
Pete C.

I saw one fall out of a metal basket while being lifted onto an offshore platform. I was on the boat. The crane operator made the pick, and the basket was about twenty feet up off the boat deck when the bottles shifted. One fell out, and landed, you guessed it, on the cap. It shot up in the air, in a long arc, and landed sploosh in the water a ways away. It would have killed anyone it hit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And What's the veep?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ach! I'd forgotten all about aluminum tanks! All of this thread, I've been thinking only steel. Did mythbusters do a steel one? Wouldn't an ordinary bullet just splatter? Armor-piercing, however, is another story, and that's the one I'm curious about - an armor-piercing bullet into a steel tank.

Yeah, they "can't make it on the outside," much like government bureaucrats. ;-D

Possibly interestingly, these two weenies were avionics guys, who are supposed to be the smart ones!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I seem to recall a posting some years back where a submarine was accused of firing a torpedo in harbour after the valve was knocked off a high pressure cylinder being handled on the dock. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

The MSM always ignores the more sensible murders. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I griped at about age 9 that my mother always seemed to side with those "against me" and noted that I thought a parent's job was to defend her children from a hostile world, she said she was less worried about the world's effect on me than about how I might damage the world.

Some days ya jist cain't pee a drop.

Reply to
Don Foreman

My dad saw a bottle of compressed gas fall off a truck and snap off the valve. It went about a block and then clear thru a brick wall. He didn't know what happened beyond the brick wall.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You guys with TVs just don't realize how bad you have it, being forced to watch that crap for weeks on end with no new data being added.

Pobrecitos!

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a TV. I bicycled past a flag at half mast yesterday and didn't know why so I had to turn it on. Seen all the news about now we need gun control. I'll leave it off for a month now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hi Garrett, That's neat, any idea what Frequency it vibrates at? 20hz, 100hz, 500hz? Does the reed at any point in the horn, close the horn and then open as it moves causing the vibration? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yep. I personally can never make myself watch TV.

Ignoramus2894