cast iron;

A buddy of mine is building a 3 cylinder steam engine for a small car. He asked me to find him some cast iron for the cylinders. Our local steel supply place has Dura-bar 1 1/2 ID - 3 1/2 OD which is perfect but you need to buy 6 feet and it is ~ $ 400. Dose anyone have any short pcs for sale [ he needs 3 chunks 4 1/2 inches long] Or would anyone like to go in together and buy 6 feet and divid it? Or any suggestions. Richard

Reply to
Richard Hanley

tell him to look at the used junk yards for cylinder liners out of small diesel engines , or maybe buy them new

like for the small diesel welder engines?

Reply to
williamhenry

Versa-bar says they'll cut hollow bar to length...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Nasty hyperlink - but you can see mscdirect has for USD $86.34 12" 3.5 1.5 12" long Class 83 Cast Gray Iron. MSC page book 1765 (quicker way with page number) Cored Rods. You will need at least 2 of these.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Why is cast iron required for steam engines? Wouldn't stainless work as well? What are the issues other than rust & lubrication?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Maybe ease of machining?

-- Jeff R

Reply to
A.Gent

Machineability

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Ask the local distributor if you look in the scrap bin. I have picked up some nice pieces of cast iron this way.

GJR

Reply to
GJRepesh

Also consider stainless steel is not the best conducter of heat. I suppose some alloys may be better than others, but...

Reply to
Ace

Thank you to all that have responded to my posting. I got some good advise and wonderful leads. Richard

Reply to
Richard Hanley