Cast iron corn sheller

Not toxic, and small quantities ingested probably won't cause any problems. Eat a big spoonful, and you're likely to have loose stools or diarrhea; stomach cramps; and/or vomiting.
As Jim says, not "food safe."
Reply to
edhuntress2
And *ten months* later I now have an update. Tried electrolysis de rusting and gave up. No mater how long I left it running there was always some red rust under the black. Also noticed that as the outside edges got cleaner the middle and inside areas got slower and slower. Sheller sat in the storage shed all winter.
Went with plan A and had it sandblasted. Got it back a few days ago and the wife baked on the first layer of flax seed oil. Looks pretty good. Not as black as an old frying pan liked I hoped. But restoring this to use, not as an antique. Will try to put a few pictures up on the web once it is put back together.
Thanks again to all here who offered advice!
Reply to
William Bagwell
A bit late for that. Got it put together yesterday and ordered a replacement wood handle on Ebay. Had searched last year for a wood handle with 5/16" bore with no luck. Considered ordering the little clamp 'doo jobbers' that allow you to quickly mount and dis-mount the sheller when using it. (Very common for these to be missing!) Only ones in my price range were aluminum. The cast iron 'new from original molds' were about what I paid for the whole sheller.
Reply to
William Bagwell

Site Timeline