CD drive balancing technique

A friend of mine took a defunct CD drive apart and was puzzled by some loose ball bearings in a housing on the spindle. He thinks that they are there to correct for an out of balance condition when the CD is spinning. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks, Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

It's very likely. It's a standard technique on things like grinding wheel mountings.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

SOunds like a case of non-jamming set and think - clacking balls knock off the dirt that might gum up the works. Just a thought... Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Thanks for the replies.

I subsequently did a bit of Googling (should have done it first) and came up with a couple of interesting (and rather mathematical) references:

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller