Centrifugal blowers--any shop uses?

Awl--

I seem to be gathering these big-assed centrifugal blowers, 5 and 10 hp. The blower blades are 2 to 3 feet in diameter, w/ some fiearsome output.

What are the intended uses for these, industrially? Might they be useful in a home-grown dust collection system? Venting welding fumes via a hood? That sort of thing? The blowing output seems to be more the design focus than pure suction, but maybe if properly enclosed, the suction would be substantial as well.

Are the blowers, sans the motor, of any intrinsic value? IOW, if I scavenge the motors, can someone use the housing, or should I just scrap it? The housings are in very good shape, very substantial metal--not even sheet metal, but rather full 1/8".

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I have a 4' run by a 40hp. I evacuates all the sawdust from my woodworking shop. (and all the heat!) I have farmed-out most of my woodworking due to the fact that I can't get good lumber and labor problems...getting people to actually produce. I have a bunch of blowers that I too accumulated over the years from 2' to 4' and just scrapped them last year. Nobody wanted them even for free. I'll be scrapping the last one this year along with the 40 yard baghouse and use little dust collectors where I need them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

good luck getting rid of them... my worst nightmare

Ignoramus22178

Sounds like these are from air conditioning systems from large commercial buildings. The blowers are probably of not much value. However, they usually have a nice set of bearings and shaft, if you can separate the shaft from the fan. These are good for making giant bowl turning lathes and such. If you were close by, I'd take a couple off your hands.

Reply to
Gary Brady