Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

You apply 12 volts to those injectors and you WILL be replacing them. They are NOT 12 volts and they are NOT continuous duty. What has happened is common to ALL EFI vehicles. The injector nozzles and passages are plugged with dried gas residue. You MIGHT be able to clean them but you can get a complete TBI unit from a salvage yard for cheap. Also you will want to check the fuel pressure. If you installed the wrong fuel pump the injectors won't operate.

Reply to
Steve W.

One thing that'll make your life a lot easier, it looks like there's a Cotter Clip by the radiator support, and a support bar over the axle - those molded plastic fender liners look like they pop right out for much easier service access to the engine compartment. The tire is still in the way, but we can't fix everything.

TBI is like EFI - if any of the sensors are bad it won't go, and certain sensors it doesn't set trouble codes for - for example, if the Crankshaft Position Sensor goes bad the EFI computer simply thinks the engine isn't turning over. You have to hook up a voltmeter and look for the proper signals coming from the sensors as you crank it over.

Check for proper fuel pressures at the tank and at the TB - even if the fuel pump is good, a bad pressure regulator can choke it off, or shunt the fuel flow back to the tank on the return line. There will be a spec in the book as to how many gallons per minute it pumps, you direct the flow into a bottle and hot-wire the pump.

Change the fuel filter on general principles, but it probably is not the cause of a no-start - even if it's hopelessly clogged for pulling a hill (and you'll feel the drivability issues as it is starved for fuel) it would have to be totally cemented shut to not flow enough to start and idle.

  • * * * * * * * *

Oh, and Right NOW you need to peel off the stickers / buff out/ paint over/ cover up the prior owner's name on the doors and the DOT numbers on the fenders. The prior owners should have obscured the name and numbers themselves the minute it changed hands, or required you to do it ASAP.

All sorts of unwanted excitement could come from that incorrect ID or DOT# - you for falsification of ID, or a cop runs the numbers and finds that the associated insurance policy with that DOT# was cancelled...

Either way, they now have the authority to pull you over to find out what's up, and they have the Probable Cause to start fishing for any spare change in your pockets - With visions of Dollar Signs dancing in their heads. SFX: Cash Register {Ka-CHING!}

Commercial drivers license and proper endorsements, medical certificate, insurance, Driver's Daily Vehicle Safety Inspection log book, Driver's Log Books, required equipment (flares, triangles, flags, etc.) busted tail light, cut tire or below minimum tread depth, fire extinguisher current, missing or improper mud-flaps, dirt or gravel load not tarped...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Yes, but you might not want to drop $100 - $150 on the Mechanic's EFI Cleaning Kit - And the engine does have to be able to start and run, even if badly.

You basically disconnect the fuel line and screw on a special pressure regulator and hose adapter gadget, then attach a pressurized 2-liter bottle of special 100% cleaning solvent. The replacement bottles of cleaner are about $20 or so each.

Then start the engine and run it at idle till the solvent has all run through - and about halfway through the bottle you'll hear the engine even out and start acting right, especially on Port Fuel Injected engines where a clogged injector means a dead hole.

On your TBI engine one side clogged means one side runs really lean, and it'll run like a 4-cylinder if it starts at all. I'll bet there isn't much (if any) crossover in the intake manifold between the two sides. They deliberately do that to keep the velocities even on the two sides, they each flow 4 cylinders in an even pattern.

Just remember the rules, you can condense it down to the basics. Requirements: Fuel, Spark, Air, clear Exhaust system. Otto Cycle: Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow. And get rid of the excess heat, Or Else.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Yeah, that's not a carb, it's Chebby's style of EFI.

Ig, get the service manual on it and go from there. I wonder if they had computer access ports on that truck. If so, find out which reader can see it and look for the troubleshooting codes.

Now that you have the truck and trailer for it, you can buy a loader/backhoe and be able to move it around.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Carb cleaner... nasty stuff, keep it off your skin,

Reply to
David Lesher

The extremely expensive Berryman's-B-12-Equivalency kit!

It's a beautiful sound, that.

Prolly so.

I _like_ it!

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yea, when I bought my POS honda, it ran a bit rough, I took out the injectors, soaked them in a bath of carb cleaner over night, reinstalled with new seals and it ran 100% better. I bought one of those pails of cleaner with a basket in it like this

but I don't remember it being that much. It was 5+ years ago

Reply to
tnik

As an aside, how many commercial vehicles do you have to own before the State and/or Feds consider you a Motor Carrier (it does not need to be the primary purpose of your business for you to fall under that designation)? What legal resposibilities up to and including Homeland Security do you need to follow once they decide that is one of your hats?

Keep an eye on that stuff or it will bite you. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Not even remotely close. The B12 is good stuff for general fuel system maintenance, but it is a far cry from running 100% cleaner through the injectors.

Iggy, I have a 3M fuel injector cleaner rig I could loan you, it would easily fit in a small priority mail box and you can get the cleaner canisters at most any auto parts place.

Reply to
Pete C.

I cleaned them with ultrasound last night. If that helps, great, if not, I will buy new ones.

Ignoramus23626

Thanks Pete. We'll see. I cleaned them in an ultrasound cleaner yesterday, I will see if it helps, I think that I can buy replacements at NAPA.

Reply to
Ignoramus23626

Yea, at ~$130 for a pair of new injectors it isn't a big deal. For the later MPFI engines with 8 x $100 injectors it makes more sense to try a couple cleanings first.

Reply to
Pete C.

You're lucky they were steel and it was the "environmental" bullshit. If you had soaked aluminum carb parts in a REAL (Chem Dip) dip tank overnight, you'd have come back to a nearly empty basket the next day.

shit, mon, and exactly what's needed to do the job right and quickly.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One. Especially if the vehicle requires a CDL to drive it. (both of the latest vehicles Iggy has posted fall into that area.)

Reply to
Steve W.

It'll depend on what he does with them as well...there's a difference between private motor carrier and for-hire as well as exempt (I don't know all the loopholes for exempt, farm is one and schoolbus is another; whether there's an escape clause iggy can get into is worth looking for altho I kinda' doubt it). But, he may have to worry about interstate if he is selling over eBay and shipping stuff hauled even if auctions/purchases are all within local--the end destination can be the gotcha'.

Fortunately, the farm catches us so haven't worried about the details much here but as noted iggy needs to be cautious doesn't inadvertently get caught in the painful parts... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

What if he buys a Bobcat and calls himself a contractor?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Don't think that would make any helpful difference. That's in the category of a private motor carrier but wouldn't relieve him of the actual situation of hauling goods for resale which is where is potential real gotcha' might be concerning interstate rules coming into play that are more onerous to comply with as far as recordkeeping, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Since igy is a merchant and those trucks are for sale at the right price he is a motor vehicle dealer right ? Those trucks are just inventory.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

If that is the case, then it's a whole new batch of regulatory and licensing headaches...

Reply to
Pete C.

On 2/17/2012 5:26 PM, azotic wrote: ...

Not necessarily...again, a lot depends on the _exact_ circumstances.

It's not clear about this vehicle; he titled the tractor of earlier discussion so it clearly isn't only inventory.

Where simply buying/reselling general equipment turns the line is a question I don't know the precise answer to even locally; what more in IL. It's the reason I and many others have and continue to caution iggy to get some help on the business/legal side of this as he grows it before he does get his knickers in a wringer inadvertently when something trips him up and raises all the questions at once't...

--

Reply to
dpb