Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

Actually, I can register the dump truck to not require a CDL. I will sell it for sure, because I do not need it. I will wait until April, though, because this is when everyone needs dump trucks.

i i
Reply to
Ignoramus15653

I do not see how I can have a problem. I never provide any transportation services. I never provide any services at all, actually. I only transport my own stuff.

Ignoramus15653

I can do up to 5 of them per year without a dealer license. For more, I will need to get a used car dealer license, which is actually something that I am looking into.

Ignoramus15653

As far as I understand, I can resell up to 5 vehicles per year without needing a car dealer license. Same applies to my wife.

After that, I would need a license. Considering that vehicles are sold at liquidation auctions and by companies that I buy from, I am now looking into how to get a used car dealer license. It is a paperwork hassle, and there is a bunch of regulations regarding my hours, car lot etc. They seem to be directed against shade tree car dealers and favor large dealers. But, at least now, I do have a big parking lot.

Ignoramus15653

On 2/18/2012 10:47 AM, Ignoramus15653 wrote: ...

Well, that's the thing...that's "not for hire" but if you haul gear that you resell, and that is interstate via eBay, say, you _can_ be considered as engaged in interstate commerce and subject to all those rules about how you operate the tractor, for example.

Again, it will depend markedly on the _exact_ circumstances but don't think you are necessarily exempt for the above reasons from many of the same reporting requirements, etc.

--

Reply to
dpb

I think it would fall under the "Private carrier" category if he is transporting his own products, which I believe is a bit different from the "Not for hire" category.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete, I bought replacements online, I will post an update.

Reply to
Ignoramus15653

On 2/18/2012 12:39 PM, Pete C. wrote: ...

Actually, they're the same. "Private carrier" is defined as a carrier who is not a "for-hire carrier.

The sticky wicket gets to be when/if he's buying and transporting goods to be sold that may go out of state--assuming he is/does via eBay, say.

DOT has threatened to step in even on our farm exempt hauling that would be a real pita since we're right on the KS-OK border and many farm both sides as well as in TX, NM, and CO all in one operation since it is so close to all here. So far managed to fend them off...

--

Reply to
dpb

CDL requirement is NOT based on the registration, it is based on the factory GVW / CGVW and intended use of the vehicle.

If the data plate shows a GVW or a CGVW over CDL requirements you had better have a CDL when you drive it. The only way around that is if you fall under one of the CDL exemptions (Farm Plates, RV use, Fire Vehicle (in some states) This catches a LOT of people because they assume that the registration is the document that the DOT will go by. They don't, they go by the ID plate on the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.