Clausing 1770 drill press

My spouse is open to giving me a clausing 1770 drill press as a birthday present. There is a local seller for same.

CLAUSING DRILL PRESS MODEL 1770 HOWELL MOTOR

3/4 HP - 1140 RPM - 115/230 VOLTS - 13.2/6.6 AMPS 60 CYCLES- FRAME Z56 -NO. J285003 S/N 66G CODE J

My question is, is it really much better than a cheap $140 floor drill press that I have. Or not really. What I want is to be able to drill larger holes and switch speeds easily.

Ignoramus9377

Jesus. You won't believe the difference, unless all you do is drill wood. And we know that isn't the case.

Go to the Clausing website, and get their little catalog on their drill presses. This drill press is in current production, and parts are available. Also find out what they cost new, for comparison.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Does she have a sister?

If a Clausing makes a machine called a "Drill Press", most others don't have a right to be called a "Drill Press". Get back to me after you have drilled a few holes with it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What he said.

I dont recall if the 1770 is pulley or varible speed, but expect the variable speed to be a bit noiser than a regular step pulley drill press, but not a hell of a lot.

And yes..they are marvelous drilling machines.

Best be putting it on a well made stand or bench..as they are HEAVY.

Gunner, independant machine tool repair tech..who works on them regularly.

Political Correctness

Gunner

And the wife -- she's a keeper.

Variable speed, not step.

Floor mount, 350 pounds.

Joe, who lusted after a 600-pound Clausing drill press until he got the Millrite. Don't have space for both. Sad.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

My VS is so quiet it needs a pilot light.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yours must not have come out of a production environment where it was used for 30 yrs 8 hours a day

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Iggy,

You have a prize of a wife. We have a clausing drill press. It is a big bigger than yours but it drills balancing holes in cast iron pulleys. Pushes a 5/8 - 11/16 drill bit all the time with an air power assist with oil speed control.

The machine runs 5.5-7x24 depending on orders. The only issue we have had is the elevation gearbox (likely operator didn't loosen clamp bolts) and recently we had to service the varidrive.

Oh yes, the snail spring broke once.

Clausing is still in business one state northeast of you.

If the machine is in good shape now, it will outlive you and likely your heirs.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Thanks, I can see it is a great idea. I now think that I can get one for less than what this seller is askig for, I willl try to find a 20" model.

Ignoramus3123

I have the elevation mechanism left over, what should I do with it? I CAN"T just throw it away!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

With all the strong replies about how great the Clausing is, "I gots to ax": why/how are they better? For example, compared to my home-shop 15" Delta.

Bob

(the variable speed doesn't count as I have a VFD on mine)

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I have a model 1662 that I bought from a machine shop that was closing down.

15" infinite variable speed w/M2 taper mounted on a 4"x4"x1/4" square tube & channel iron frame.

I need to replace the clip that holds the spring on the motor pulley. Its a little loose, which means mucho excitement when it comes undone (spinning parts fly). That and I get a wicked shimmy between 600-900rpms. Any idea, Gunner?

It is a strong machine.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

is it a basic snap ring, or the serpentine retainer? Looks like a circle, but is a spiral of thin metal you simply wrap around the shaft, in the "snap ring groove" Some were either. Most as far as I know..are the serpentine retainer, so to fit down in the recess. Ive seen the recess bored out a bit bigger so the ears on a OD snap ring fit down inside. This is NOT as strong as the spiral retainer. You are also holding the key in place as well with it.

I honestly dont know where to get the serpentine retainer..Ive been careful as hell not to f*ck one up. Hardinge uses them also on the end of the lever action collet closer to hold the end bearing on. Likely any bearing/belt shop will have them. Just measure the groove ID and get one to fit. They will allow you to go about .01 larger groove to retainer ID, but not smaller.

Clausing of course..but they tend to price their parts into heart attack heights. The moving side of that pulley? $650 to replace it. But they do supply a key, which is nice of them....

Simple vibration or the pulley is going out of balance? Check your center bushing for out of round or considerable wear. And be sure to check the keyway. Ive seen em pounded .50 around the motor shaft.

That pulley should be a slip fit..but a very very close one. Fortunately..the bushing is fairly easy to make at home. Assuming its not blown out right into the cast iron pulley. Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah, I've heard that about Clausing's pricing. Thanks for the info! I'll check it out some time this week.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Gunner, kind of an urgent question, what about Powermatic 1150 drill presses. Are those as nice as Clausings. 15" table.

Ignoramus19052

I cant speak for the model. They are stout, Noisly as hell if variable speed and fairly well made. As "nice" as a Clausing?

Shrug.

Ask Leigh at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com he is very expert on Powermatic stuff as he is a dealer and deals with fair quantities of them every week.

Would I own a Powermatic in good conditon? Hell yes.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

OK... I won one at a liquidation... Online auction ended 15 minutes ago... Just how noisy are they?

Yes, this one is a variable speed drill press, you adjust speed when it is running, by turning a handle in the head.

Ignoramus19052

Depends on age and condition. Shrug..get it home and fire it up.

Thhats how they work...

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Finally got a chance to tear the top end down on the DP. The motor pulley has an OD snap ring, but the fit isn't that good. That is pretty easily remedied.

The spindle pulley on the other hand, is another story. The bronze bushing that the lower portion of the pulley rides up and down on the pulley shaft has wear. Its visible and audible. I'd guess about .005-007". The shaft itself is bent about .005".

It seems to me the biggest reason, though, is the spindle pulleys that aren't true. The adjustable pulley is about .010" out while the stationary side is out .033". They are out in the same direction (if that makes any sense).

Can I just turn these pulleys down on the lathe to true? I figure the other issues will be nulled buy the pulleys being true. What do ya'll think?

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

John, as an owner of a similar VS drill press (powermatic 1150) I would be hugely interested in details and pictures of your repair work and your findings. My DP seems to be in a working shape now, but one day I may need to do the same thing as you are doing now.

Ignoramus16651