Cleaning rust from transformer laminations?

According to Dave Hinz :

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Subject: Re: Cleaning rust from transformer laminations? Summary: Expires: References:

Sender: Followup-To: Reply-To: snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (Donald Nichols) Distribution: Organization: D & D Data, Vienna, VA Keywords: Cc:

According to Dave Hinz :

The U10 -- at least without an add-on PCI card, speaks only IDE, just as does the U5 (same motherboard, but the U10 has room for more options).

And I'm not at all sure that much in the U2 could be moved to the U10 or later -- except perhaps memory. (More about that later.)

On the U10 and other IDE Suns, the maximum IDE disk size which you can use is 137GB.

I think that the U20 and U60 also have only PCI card slots, not SBus ones.

No information on an U20 in my FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook), but the U30 does have 68-pin ultra SCSI built in.

Same for the U60.

Both have 2 FFB slots (for the Creator-3d in sort-of PCI format, not real PCI, but also not SBus.

Both also have 2 UPS slots (other Graphics cards), and four PCI slots.

None of the cards from your Ultra-2 will work -- neither the FFB (Creator-3d), nor any SCSI, Ethernet, or whatever cards.

And the memory for the Ultra-2 is 200 pin 5V ECC memory, while that for the Ultra-5, and 10 are 168-pin EDO 3.3V ECC memory.

However, the same memory will work in the Ultra-30 or Ultra-60, according to the FEH. (Except that the U-60 wants at least 32MB and up to 128 MB, while the U30 and the U2 will accept RAM down to 16 MB, with the same maximum size of 120 MB per SIMM.

I happen to like the Ultra-2 more than the Ultra-5 or the Blade-100 (which my wife is currently using). I feel that the construction is better -- though with your current problems, I'm not sure that you would agree.

One thing that I would check for is cold solder joints having developed around the pins in the connector to which the power supply connects. That could genrate all kids of spikey power, which can totally confuse the system.

But if so, I think that a replacement mother board might be the best choice.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the summary of different systems, Don. I haven't been dissatisfied with the Ultra 2, really. I got it free because it was a 6 year old server with a failed hard drive. Probably it spent those 6 years switched on all the time. I've used it pretty heavily in the last

2 years, so it's had a lot of use. I never really liked the Ultra 10. They always seemed to sell for higher prices than Ultra 2s, but in my experience they were slower (there are different models of each, I know

- my Ultra 2 is 2 x 296 MHz with 1280 MB RAM). The Blade 100 and Ultra

80 are out of my price range. The Ultra 30 seems a poor deal as they only take one CPU and are nearly as expensive as an Ultra 60. I like the Ultra 60. I met a guy who had one last year (sold him some surplus hardware) and got chance to have a good look at it. The construction of the case is pretty solid (better than the Ultra 2 which, as you say, is better than some others) and it seemed comparable to the Ultra 2 in performance. It's between another Ultra 2 and an Ultra 60, really. I'll let you know which way I go.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
christopher.tidy

Well, me, I'm thinking "Wow, I wouldn't want to put anything important on a known-dodgy piece of hardware"...

Time to upgrade, my friend. Unless this is strictly a fiddling-around project.

Reply to
Dave Hinz