"CNC Is Little Help Without A CAD file"

Wrong on so many levels but not unexpected in a group that's completely out of touch with modern machining techniques:

Mill:

Lathe:

Lets not forget Hurco and Mazak with its Mazatrol language.

Most shops I work with long ago dumped their Bridgeports even for secondary operations. Majority I work with use DPM bed mills.

Reply to
jon_banquer

Let me know when I can get a CNC hammer, wrench and drill. There's no need at all to make simple manual operations complex just to use a computer.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I must have been doing something wrong, I programmed an Anilam control on a Dahlih CNC mill for 6 years and I never needed a CAD file. I was running ACAD 10 on a portable XT clone I'd built, but there was no post processor that could turn a DXF into a cutting file. I used the CAD for checking geometry and locations, wrote the program in a text editor, then transferred it to the control through a null modem cable.

ACAD 10 was the 5th CAD program I'd learned.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch