Cold sun rising

NASA climatologists DID make those claims, based on computer models by the same James Hansen who later discovered and warned Congress about global warming.

Here is the source:

"If sustained over a period of several years, such a temperature decrease over the whole globe is believed to be sufficient to trigger an ice age."

So YOU are exposed as the lying hate agitator.

"Hansen has advanced an alternative view of global warming wherein he

last 100 years has been driven mainly by greenhouse gases other than carbon dioxide (such as methane)."

"But we argue that rapid warming in recent decades has been driven mainly by non-CO2 greenhouse gases ..."

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

No, NASA climatologists did not say that CFC propellants in aerosol cans were going to cause an ice age.

There was never a "global cooling" consensus.

Reply to
Rüdy Canôza

Jim Wilkins wrote on 2015-11-14 15:49:

You've missed the point. The propellants used in "spray cans" were 'Freon', not CO2.

Freon and other chlorocarbons deplete the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere which protects us from the sun's ultraviolete rays.

So spray cans were indirectly causing skin cancer in people with prolonged and unprotected sun-exposure.

CO2, on the other hand, causes greenhouse effect and leads to global warming. The main source of CO2 is from fossil fuel combustion, not spray cans.

Reply to
hfTPs?? M°i°g°h°t°y ? W°a°n°n° a°b°e ??xPdHm

The spray can protesters may have been ignorant fools but professional NASA climatologists clearly DID warn of an Ice Age, based on Hansen's computer model of atmospheric radiative heat transfer.

"No such claims" is a LIE.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You have no right to breathe air or get water.

It's not in the Bill of Rights. Libertarians need to understand their rights.

Commies like you should just go f*ck themselves.

It will be like out takes from The Factor! With Hannity in The Green Room.

All rightists do these days is bitch and whine. If God killed the politically correct, the rightists would be first with a blind fold.

Reply to
Rightt Wing

The "cooling" claim was *always* a minority view among climatologists.

No, it isn't. I was specifically referring to the bullshit allegation from chrissy that anyone said CFCs were going to cause cooling.

Reply to
Rüdy Canôza

Everything is getting mixed up here. The aerosols that Rasool and others were talking about are not from spray cans, but primarily from burning fuels and from volcanoes. Those aerosols -- silicates and sulfates for the most part -- generally reflect sunlight. Carbon particles, also considered to be aerosols, absorb sunlight. The models DID accurately predict a half-degree temperature drop after the Pinatubo eruption:

Rasool's 1971 paper said that CO2 caused surface warming, and that aerosols caused cooling. If the level of aerosols were multiplied by four, said Rasool, we could have an ice age (a highly speculative conclusion). That multiple of aerosol output did not happen. Instead, we have increases in CO2.

It also appears that Rasool's paper was inaccurate in predicting the effect of ever-higher levels of CO2. The self-limiting phenomenon that was predicted from the math has not been observed in reality.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks. Nice that you were able to find that on the web.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The main greenhouse gas isn't CO2, it's H20. Maybe we should work to limit the amount of H20 in the air.

Reply to
Just Wondering

From the American Chemical Society, Climate Science Toolkit:

greenhouse effect. On average, it probably accounts for about 60% of

temperature, but is instead controlled by the temperature."

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And the burning wells of IRAQ and the neighboring country put up so much nasty sulfur and carbon that the warming chilled and moderated the effect. But we will be paying for that for years in pollution.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Yeah, there was... Came from the same kind of Government spawned lunatics that are now selling you the guilt trip of humans being the major contributor to Global warming. A little know secret is that the internet NG's are overloading the system causing all these problems.. ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

No, there wasn't. It's a myth.

Reply to
Rüdy Canôza

That is funny...That is what they said about you. Myther Rudy. ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

What it is is pathetic that you knuckle-draggers keep repeating a myth.

There was no "consensus" on global cooling. It was a minority view, and it was quickly abandoned.

Reply to
Rüdy Canôza

You are correct. I don't see why you started talking about silicon based life forms from space heating the planet so it's suitable for their species and then turn around and pretend you never mentioned it.

I'll just chalk it up as another symptom of your rather obvious mental problems. Don't worry about it; this is a very tolerant group.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

I was alive in the 1970s, and that global cooling theory was VERY active.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Only among journalists and people with no connection to science. Here's most of the story:

Scientists dismissed it pretty quickly. Much of the chatter stemmed from Rasool's paper, which I mentioned before, and right-wing pundit Lowell Ponte's 1976 book, _The Cooling_. IIRC, it was a best-seller, and Ponte was on talk shows all over the airwaves.

It was mostly nonsense.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oh , and try reading the label on a can of spray anything ... or better yet , the msds for almost any pressurized can . EVERY ONE I looked up (and a couple that have it printed right on the can) shows butane/isobutane and/or propane as a propellant gas .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Truth and facts are not found by consensus.

Reply to
Just Wondering