Combination Square and other Metalworking Tools in WW Shop

Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on ?Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop?. The Club has posted it on their website in pdf.

click Meetings Page click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

Reply to
James E. Baldock (Jim)

THANK YOU!

That was a very informative and well put together presentation and I learned some stuff from it that Id not known (which is a lot..unfortunately) Im now looking at my combination squares in a new light.

Well done Sir...Well done indeed!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Hey Jim,

Good job, thank you. Hope your club appreciated the effort too.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

That is a very nicely done presentation! Good work and thanks for sharing.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent stuff, learned much, thanks for sharing. John.

Reply to
John Wilson

Nice job.

You may not be aware of it, but the picture of the Hasher that you showed is incomplete. The chopping blades worked inside a round tin tub, which had a gear on its base and was rotated by a pawl with every stroke. It's really a handsome machine - green paint, IIRC, with pinstriping. People in Athol used to refer to the original factory as "the Hasher".

One small point - the blue used to check flatness is not Dykem, but Hi-Spot blue. It's a paste, not a fluid. Dykem may actually make one, but when most machinists refer to Dykem they mean the lacquer-type layout fluid.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I agree, great job with the presentation.

There is nothing like a good combination square... my father gave me one when I was about 6 or 7, a (cast iron head) 12" Craftsman. To this day, it's still square as can be, and considering it's had use several times a week for almost 45 years now, still looks good. As far as I can remember, it was the first tool I owned. (Believe it or not, I still have the original little scribe in it! Still sharp too...)

I also have a crude hook rule I made from an old steel carpenters square. Just wacked one of the legs way down... extremely handy at times for general cobbling. They should sell them like that. Got the idea for it here a while back, someone said they'd made one for welding use IIRC.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

John,

Thanks for your input. Your comments are welcomed. I did not know the 'Hasher' was incomplete. I stand corrected with the Dykem although I did know the difference. The problem came about in that in my past life with Cincinnati Milacron the term Dykem was generally used for any thing blue.

Thanks,

JIM

John Mart> Nice job.

Reply to
James E. Baldock (Jim)

Dykem is a trade name. They also make a paste. You can get the same thing in oil paint from an art or hobby store. It's called Prussian Blue. The oil paint will eventually set, so it should be wahed off after use, just like Dykem. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs