Connect 5/16" OD 22LR steel barrel liner to larger OD barrel?

Has anyone done this? I could just counter bore the large barrel and connect with loctite

601. It would be nicer to be able to screw then together, without constricting the bore.
Reply to
clarkmagnuson

I believe that the old method was to solder the liner in but probably Loctit bearing retainer would work as well.

-- John B.

Reply to
John B.

Brownell's lists two methods, soft solder(their Force 44 is a bit better than regular soft solder, though) and Acraglas bedding compound. Either works for .22 LR forces. Not a lot of longitudinal force there and there's a long surface in shear. The problem with Loctite and long close-fitting tubing is getting the thing together before the stuff sets up. You still might have voids in there with Loctite. If the original Acraglas is used, it actually flows into pores and ridges as it cures due to the heat generated, gets a lot thinner than when originally mixed. And sweating two pieces of steel together is pretty easy, given the usual requirements of clean surfaces, enough flux and enough heat. Brownell's has a free instruction sheet you can order with their liners.

Stan

Reply to
stans4