Continental solenoid starter stopped working

sorry, buster, but there is no band on a Delco starter. The back end bell comes off, and the brushes are inside. You need to take the starter off and apart - but there is no simpler starter to work on.

Reply to
clare

Exactly!

That's good to know. I will open it up tonight or tomorrow. I would like to rebuild the starter if possible.

Ignoramus7104

Some delcos have a band and some you pull the back bell but not all of them.

John

Reply to
John

The last Delco starter I saw with a band on it was on a '37 Pontiac, and it had no solenoid. By 1949, they all had solenoids and no more bands. The change came somewhere in the early-mid forties when the foot operated starter disappeared.

A lot of older Autolite/Prestolite starters have the band.

The beauty of the older Delco Pre-Engage starters is the brushes were installed with SCREWS, so no soldering required to do the job.

Reply to
clare

Many delco aircraft starters have a band on them. Most of the ones with a band are mounted on the accessory case. The continental engines are the ones that have the starter mounted on the accessory case.

John

Reply to
John

But this is NOT an aircraft engine - and the Delco aircraft starters (in particular for Continental engines) also have NO solenoid (they are not pre-engage starters) and are virtually all pre 1946 designs (frozen in time due to certification issues) Also, the Delco starter used on Continental O-145 to O-300 did NOT have a removeable band. And even then, the Delco was a minority player in that market -there were several other manufacturers that made the majority of starters for those engines

The continental engine in question is a flathead industrial engine - most likely a Continental Red Seal, which is visually and conceptually extremely similar to the old Chrysler Flathead, except the distributor in mounted straight up on the head instead of coming out the side on an angle .

Used on a lot of "assembled" automobiles, ag equipment, industrial equipment, generators and welders.

Reply to
clare

Wow!

Yes, it is a Red Seal engine!

The starter is 1109437

Any idea where I can get replacement brushes?

Ignoramus23509

Gunner, how is that Continental doing?

Ignoramus23509

I would check your local Yellow pages for Alternator/Starter rebuilders. Like this maybe:

It was many years ago... but the last ones I bought came from a hole-in-the-wall rebuilder in my area. Place looked like a rats nest but the parts were brand new, handed to me loose. Guy even volunteered a few pointers for replacing them myself. Make a few phone calls and see which ones will sell you some parts...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Makes "manana" look fast????

Reply to
clare

That is a Delco 10MT series starter, used on all 12 volt GM, as well as a whole slew of other makes from 1956 to 1992? - The high torque model started in about 1964, and other than the drive end housing (which is interchangeable) virtually any 10MT is the same.

Starter brush part number should be 79-300-4

Reply to
clare

I took the starter off. The teeth look pretty good. At this point, I blame brushes, I am soaking it in a cleaner spray to wipe off the dirt, and then I will take it apart.

Ignoramus23509

Thank you!

I took apart my starter & I will make a separate post.

Ignoramus23509