Cops & Donuts

I know it has been a standard joke for years about cops & donuts. I am not a cop but I have several close friends who are. They tell me the reason you often see two or three cop cars parked at the local coffee/donut shop is because they are usually planning and co-ordinating service of a warrant or some other strategy. The bad guys have radio scanners that they can use to monitor radio communications, unless the cops have scramblers and most departments don't. DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

So why don't they meet at Home Depot?? :-) (My wife is a retired Deputy and she loves donuts).

Reply to
Tom

That, and DD actually has pretty good coffee.

I think police departments (like many other human activities) are fueled with caffeine for the most part.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

And I think some places may give free coffee etc. to cops to encourage them to hang out there as a deterrent to crime.

Reply to
randy replogle

Because Home Depot does not have booths for them to sit in? (or Donuts). Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

They got donuts at Home Depot?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yeah sure!

Another reason is that such shops are likely to be open 24 & 7 and the shop owners often encourage police patronage with freebies because the frequent presence of the law discourages rowdy patrons and armed robbers.

I once found three cop cars outside the donut shop I patronized at the time, and as I came in the door I inquired loudly "Is this the Rideau Street police station?"

I got away with it because I had a short military haircut and said it with a smile...

Reply to
John Ings

Hmm. If you're not going to patent that idea Ned, would you mind if I *did*?

The local B&N bookstore has a starbucks, never did much care for that coffee. But the idea would be the same, have a spot for the toolnuts to hang out and have a break.

The bookstore does it because they know it's a draw - but the same would be true for Home Desperate. Just get DD to put a franchise in on the premisis and away ya go.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

No. Home Depot has these really really good Hebrew National hotdogs though....yummmmmmm!!!!!

At least in this part of California.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I think beer would be more in line with the general clientele at Home Despot. A bikini-clad "associate" could greet you at the door with, "This Bud's for you". Then all the cops could cruise HD's parking lot after their DD break and pick up easy DUI's.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

You're both right.

The cops know where all the restaurants and donut shops are where their bill will either be magically very low (someone hits the "Employee Discount" button on the register) or the check never appears at the table at all. And they make a nice break room / field office.

IANA Cop, but I've hung out with a few. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Back in the 80's We would make routine uniformed stops at local mini markets (24/7). More often then not coffee and fountain drinks would be "at no charge" but anything packaged would be paid for. Most often our "briefing stations'' would be any parking lot within 1mile of warrant service area. We would never stop in for coffee or donuts prior to a warrant service.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Most of them use a cell phone now. Bad cop, no donut!

Perhaps adding a comma to the signs posted on the dunkin donuts would help

NO LOITERING POLICE TAKE NOTICE

NO LOITERING POLICE, TAKE NOTICE.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Not to change the subject or anything, but my brother in law is a Mopar fan.

MOVE OVER, PYLMOUTH APPROACHING RAPIDLY.

MOVE OVER PLYMOUTH, APPROACHING RAPIDLY.

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

In article , Gunluvver2 wrote: :I know it has been a standard joke for years about cops & donuts. I am not a :cop but I have several close friends who are. They tell me the reason you often :see two or three cop cars parked at the local coffee/donut shop is because they :are usually planning and co-ordinating service of a warrant or some other :strategy. The bad guys have radio scanners that they can use to monitor radio :communications, unless the cops have scramblers and most departments don't.

What, only two or three? Must be a slow day.

Hmmm, where did I put that link? ... Aha!

Robert Nichols

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:11:42 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

That's a main point of going to Costco for me. HN beef or polish dogs + a soft drink. Yum, and only $1.50 (no tax). I tried the dogs at the Oceanside Borg but they were nowhere as good or large as those from Costco.

I eat first, then shop. It's much, much cheaper. DAMHIKT

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Our Home Depot has a hotdog stand out front. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Reply to
Michelle P

Obviously you live in a very civilized neighborhood, Michelle. They've even found a use for a Lowe's, as a backdrop for an Italian sausage stand.

--RC (who much prefers the old time hardware stores to the Lowes/Home Despot/etc.)

Michelle P wrote:

Reply to
Rick Cook

Massively Overpowered And Respected or if you don't like them Mostly Old Parts And Rust

Reply to
Travis Thompson