Crane Owy

OOOOPPPS

Best Regards
Tom.
Reply to
azotic
I may be able to take some photos of it if anyone is interested and it stays there tomorrow. Supposedly the earth collapsed under it (maybe some underground tunnels)
Ignoramus24331
Heh, reminds me of
which I got stuck behind, with two cats in the car, for eight hours.
Reply to
B.B.
When we have crane accidents, they fall at least a couple hundred feet:
I can't imagine being th' operator when that happened, yikes!
Snarl
Reply to
snarl
azotic wrote:
Putting down pads on unknown earth or pavement will get you in trouble in a hurry. Saw a welldriller tip over a rig for not paying attention. He was blowing a lot of sand out of the hole but didn't realise he was undermining his outriggers. whoops. Working in a city is a hazard in itself because you never know what is under the pavement.. Just last week they found a bunch of old bathrooms underneath a plaza in Scranton PA. The news said they were put in in the early 1900's and were the best in the US at the time they were built.
John
Reply to
john
With improving technology and the cost of the big cranes, they should probably have a ground penetrating radar unit on any crane of any large size / capacity to verify the ground conditions before setup. Can't imagine they couldn't make a decent unit for say $10k which would be peanuts compared to the million dollar crane it would protect, not to mention the potential lives.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
I believe that there is an instrument for checking the ground for voids. I seem to remember seeing a guy use a special hammer and a remote sensor to check the soil.
Here is the url for the comfort stations... bathrooms.

John
Reply to
john
Cool! I like urban archeology. Got a link?
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Reply to
Gunner
YouTube has some interesting crane accident stuff....
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Reply to
Gunner
Maybe they were chasing Spider-Man. ;-D
Cheers! Rich
Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko
Figures - I had to look outside the article to see the name of town.
Guess they, the writers, don't expect out of towner's to read!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

azotic wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
something doesnt add up....
"The comfort stations were uncovered after all these years by construction crews renovating the Lackawanna County courthouse. They have been closed since the 1970s."
30 odd years..thats not very long. Hell..I could have used them.
Gunner, who has never been to Scranton.
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Reply to
Gunner
Nothing adds up in scranton..... or Lacawanna county..... politicians say they are going to come up with a 25 % reduction in taxes.... actual taxes are 45 percent increase.
People there don't even know math or when they are getting screwed.
John
Reply to
john
Another one happened this morning in Tampa, Florida.
From: WTVT, tampa, Ch 13 TV news:
Worker rescued from overturned crane Last Edited: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 10:05 AM EDT Created: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 9:24 AM EDT Authorities say the crane overturned with one worker inside. WIMAUMA ? Emergency crews have rescued a worker who was trapped inside an overturned crane in Hillsborough County on Tuesday morning.
Authorities say the incident happened at the intersection of Highway 672 and Dupree Road. They say the worker has been pulled out of the overturned crane, and he was taken to Tampa General Hospital. There's no word yet on the extent of his injuries.
Because of the rescue and repair efforts, the roadway had to be closed at the intersection of Highway 672 and Carlton Lake Road. There's no word yet when that will reopen, but the view from Skyfox showed crews working to restore power and repair the downed lines.
The station's website uses "session IDs" which make a hot link imposible. The link below lets youfind the story and picture. it is the first of the two stories.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell