Crane Owy

OOOOPPPS

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I may be able to take some photos of it if anyone is interested and it stays there tomorrow. Supposedly the earth collapsed under it (maybe some underground tunnels)

Ignoramus24331

Heh, reminds me of

which I got stuck behind, with two cats in the car, for eight hours.

Reply to
B.B.

When we have crane accidents, they fall at least a couple hundred feet:

I can't imagine being th' operator when that happened, yikes!

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

azotic wrote:

Putting down pads on unknown earth or pavement will get you in trouble in a hurry. Saw a welldriller tip over a rig for not paying attention. He was blowing a lot of sand out of the hole but didn't realise he was undermining his outriggers. whoops. Working in a city is a hazard in itself because you never know what is under the pavement.. Just last week they found a bunch of old bathrooms underneath a plaza in Scranton PA. The news said they were put in in the early 1900's and were the best in the US at the time they were built.

John

Reply to
john

With improving technology and the cost of the big cranes, they should probably have a ground penetrating radar unit on any crane of any large size / capacity to verify the ground conditions before setup. Can't imagine they couldn't make a decent unit for say $10k which would be peanuts compared to the million dollar crane it would protect, not to mention the potential lives.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I believe that there is an instrument for checking the ground for voids. I seem to remember seeing a guy use a special hammer and a remote sensor to check the soil.

Here is the url for the comfort stations... bathrooms.

John

Reply to
john

Cool! I like urban archeology. Got a link?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

YouTube has some interesting crane accident stuff....

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Maybe they were chasing Spider-Man. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Figures - I had to look outside the article to see the name of town.

Guess they, the writers, don't expect out of towner's to read!

Martin

Mart> OOOOPPPS

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

something doesnt add up....

"The comfort stations were uncovered after all these years by construction crews renovating the Lackawanna County courthouse. They have been closed since the 1970s."

30 odd years..thats not very long. Hell..I could have used them.

Gunner, who has never been to Scranton.

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Nothing adds up in scranton..... or Lacawanna county..... politicians say they are going to come up with a 25 % reduction in taxes.... actual taxes are 45 percent increase.

People there don't even know math or when they are getting screwed.

John

Reply to
john

Another one happened this morning in Tampa, Florida.

From: WTVT, tampa, Ch 13 TV news:

Worker rescued from overturned crane Last Edited: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 10:05 AM EDT Created: Tuesday, 22 May 2007, 9:24 AM EDT Authorities say the crane overturned with one worker inside. WIMAUMA ? Emergency crews have rescued a worker who was trapped inside an overturned crane in Hillsborough County on Tuesday morning.

Authorities say the incident happened at the intersection of Highway 672 and Dupree Road. They say the worker has been pulled out of the overturned crane, and he was taken to Tampa General Hospital. There's no word yet on the extent of his injuries.

Because of the rescue and repair efforts, the roadway had to be closed at the intersection of Highway 672 and Carlton Lake Road. There's no word yet when that will reopen, but the view from Skyfox showed crews working to restore power and repair the downed lines.

The station's website uses "session IDs" which make a hot link imposible. The link below lets youfind the story and picture. it is the first of the two stories.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell