Detroit 6-71

Have fun!

The mayor of a small burg should have bought that for the times ahead. Perfect for running an entire small town, huh?

I'm wondering what horsepower it would take to make it produce very lightly, like 20% of its nominal output. Knowing what CAN be mated to it might help you sell it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What comparator?

Reply to
Ignoramus32337

Oh, come on, duuuuuuuuuuude.

Let's see, a Stamford 19kW head takes 20.8kW input, roughly 28 horsies.

B&S makes a 20kW unit which uses a 993cid engine. I guess we could borrow Snag's Harley engine and...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lloyd, you evidently missed my input there. I'm the one asking how many horsies it would take to power that head to 20kW, for a normal handy homeowner's use, so Ig could plug it as a bonus.

"Power it with any xHp motor!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which figures out to 200kW at a .8 power factor.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, that probably makes in a 6-71NT, which is actually quieter than the original 6-71 with the straight-lobed rotors. Most of the turbocharged engines also have the helical-lobe rotors, which makes them (marginally) quieter.

They had one of the original gen sets at work for emergencies when the underground cables popped (they used to do that a LOT). They'd park it in the parking lot and run a festoon of 230 V cable to the basement of the building and wire it into the panel. You'd drive past it and think your car was going to EXPLODE from the vibration! That was a 6-71 (no N, no T) with essentially a spark arrestor on the exhaust, not really any sort of muffler. Everything on your car would be vibrating in tune with the Diesel's sonic output.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

When you pull the pipes off, gently give the turbo a spin with your finger. if it turns freely, great! If it is stiff, that is not a good sign, DON'T start the engine until the turbo is serviced.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

How about powering up a big 3 phase motor on an overhead!

That baby will save the house with a power outage....

Mart> I bought this generator in auction for $300 plus BP:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

You can run it to produce 20 kW, but you would likely need an adaptor plate made, as the 20 kW engine would not have as big adaptor plate as the 200 kW engine.

Reply to
Ignoramus32337

Nice to know.

A muffler does help, with exhaust sound, but not with the rattle and such.

Ignoramus32337

OK, got it thanks> Jon

Reply to
Ignoramus32337

Like Hell ! Did you mean "993 *CC*" engine above ? I think my B&S 5Kw genset is running an 8 hp OHV motor .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Some company might want it as a backup unit. Or Some off grid farm / ranch wants to fire up and do some work in the barn. With 1000 watt bulbs that are worth 30 years of life (Higher voltage than used). They tend to burn up the supply fast.

Think the water station pumps in a pumping station needing backup in case their 3-phase goes out - remember Katrina in La. Flooding...

Use it to electro melt a kettle of steel....

Mart> >> Personally...Id try to sell the entire unit for at least 6 months.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Yes, I also think about remote pumping stations on a big farm or some such, as a possible application. The owner would not care so much about fuel savings, or cleanliness, or noise... Cheap and reliable is good enough.

Ignoramus32337

The problem with the turbo on the Detroits is simple. They have a line or internal passage that feeds them pressurized oil. They are located in the air intake system. The bearings get loose and start moving, that damages the oil seals. Pressure fed oil starts leaking into the air intake. Instant run away engine.

Easy way to check. Pull the turbo and look into the outlet side of the compressor. If you see ANY oil the seals are failing.

I haven't looked in a while but there used to be kits with upgraded parts for a reasonable price.

Reply to
Steve W.

I do not see the price on it, how did you find out how much it sold for?

Reply to
Ignoramus29663

It is a bit more than just the bearings. There is the rotor to rotor and rotor to housing clearance to be checked and there are oil seals that if worn or damaged allow the engine oil to be literally pumped into the engine. The engine manual covers this, or even better if you can find a shop that used to service Detroit's.

However, general speaking, blower problems are fairly rare.

Reply to
John B.

Oh, the auction has prices, sorry, they usually do not provide that inf

Reply to
Ignoramus29663

Y'think?

Know anyone near you with a wee piece of 1" steel plate? There's another sale for you, maybe even for fabrication, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought you might catch that one.

Si, CC. Mea culpa.