Dimensionally Stable Metal

The only thing that would harm a Haas..is getting the control wet. So that would need some cover. The indexer itself is pretty much water/oil proof as we see in machine shops every day.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. I lost my internet serv ice and can only get access on my trips to the library.

I know all metals will expand and c>

==========

Yes. All of that makes sense. And I intend to take all that into considerat ion. It was just that thermal expansion was the thing I wasn?t sure about .

Ok. Then I?ll not worry too much about that.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Well, if you really mean exact, then it can't be done.

Yes. Perfection can never be achieved. The idea is to get as close as possi ble/plausible. I won?t know hoe close until I try.

Great idea. (Sometimes we miss the obvious). :) It certainly would save a l ot of design and work time.

But I have to mention that the camera will need to be at the end of a boom. The pivot radius will probably be in the neighborhood of 12 feet. (I don ?t know the mathematically formula off hand, but isn?t that almost 14 f eet between the far right and far left images taken?).

Well, nothing more than a hard surface would be plausible. The stand would of course have to be relatively heavy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- > On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 23:22:58 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer

Yes. That?s exactly what this is. :) But I made an error. The camera will have to cover 90° of the horizon. (Not 45°).

That wouldn?t work, because this would have to be manual (and simple). I think it is easier than having a motor stop the camera at each interval and then wait for any vibration to dissipate before taking the next picture. ( Each frame must be the equivalent of a high definition image).

To elaborate further, I want to make what would amount to a 3 second video, but I need to have *complete control* over each individual frame. I can th en manually pan *at various speeds*. Only 1/3 of the 90° of horizon will be viewable at any one time. This of course is going to take software not y et written. (And I haven?t even mentioned the other effects I?ll need t o incorporate).

This would be a lot easier if there was a panoramic video camera that had a lens that would cover 90° and not have the customary distortion. Then I wouldn?t have to worry about panning.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

snipped-for-privacy@mail.con.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not all. Cerro-Tru expands only 0.0002 in./in. from molten to solid. LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA182B174DDAAElloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

My fingers autonomously hit return before I finished...

(then, after Cerro-Tru...),and some bismuth/cadmium-containing alloys have essentially zero temperature coefficient between molten and solid.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

And this boom doesn't sag, vibrate or expand with temperature?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... >But I have to mention that the camera will need to be >at the end of a boom. The pivot radius will probably >be in th e neighborhood of 12 feet. (I don?t know the >mathematically formula off hand, but isn?t that almost >14 feet between the far right and far left i mages taken?). >Darren Harris >Staten Island, New York. And this boom doesn 't sag, vibrate or expand with temperature?

Yes, of course. That is why it will have to be supported at both ends and t he reason for the initial question concerning what material to use.

The reason for the boom is to keep the realistic 3d aspect of the scene swe ep.

The detents whould probably be where the camera is as opposed to the axis l ocation.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

It would save time and you will get more and better help if you write a clear and complete description of what you are trying to do and the general idea of how you plan to do it. Do you have some reason to not describe what you are trying to do and the general idea of how you plan to do it?

At the moment it appears you plan to have a horizontal 12-foot boom pivoted at one end, and a quadrant of a 12-foot curved ring with detents to set boom positions to quarter-degree resolution, and there will be a camera mounted on the boom above the detents ring.

Will the camera point in, or out? If it points out and you plan to make ordinary panoramic pictures, the center of perspective in the camera should be located directly above the center of rotation. See the section called "Capturing the images" in [1] or "Using a panoramic tripod head" in the second half of [2] or the section "BACKGROUND: PARALLAX ERROR & USING A PANORAMIC HEAD" in [3].

If it points in and you plan to make Matrix-style photo or slo-mo of a moving subject as in [4] then accurate time synchronization probably is more important than physical location, although few details are available publicly.

Reply to
James Waldby

There are no additional details to cover.

I don't need design plans, which I'm still working on, and I did say the intent was to take pics of the horizon, so this has nothing top do with "Matrix-style" photos. The original question concerned what material to use.