Do Extra-Long 1/16" Drill Bits Exist?

I have been unable to locate a source for 6" long 1/16" H.S. steel drill bits. Does anyone have a source for these? I only need these to drill through cast aluminum at low RPM. Alternatively, if I got some .062" piano wire could I use my drill bit sharpener to make my own? Thank you.

Reply to
T.C. Mann

I bought 4 inch long bits #50 drillbits from MSC.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Precision Twist Drill shows 6" and 12" aircraft style drills in their catalogue. MSC or any machinist supply house would be a good bet.

michael

Reply to
michael

Here are some 6 inchers.

Jim

The important question is not where to get such drill bits, or how to make them. Assuming you have the bit, how do you manage to drill a straight hole with them. That hole will twist and turn like a corkscrew. An EDM would probably be a better choice.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

A quick search turned up six choices for 6" long 1/16" bits at MSC. I've pasted the incredibly long URL of my search below, so maybe you can jump right to it by pasting in your browser window. The key was to ask for "aircraft" length, rather than extra long. . .

Cheers,

Frank Ford

Frank Ford

Check any of the major supply houses. I regularly use them in 12" length. Anyone that carries Cleveland brand bits should have them.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

On 7 Jun 2004 07:29:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (T.C. Mann) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I got a HEAP of extra _short_ ones!

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

EDM? Then you have the problem of finding a 6" 1/32" bit to core the 1/16" electrode!

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Machineman

Thanks but this is RCM so I just make my own all the time . Maybe try Ebay ? ;-) Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:24:03 -0700, Ken Cutt vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Damn!

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:24:03 -0700, Ken Cutt calmly ranted:

Superglue?

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:01:30 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Try the woodworking forum if you're going to sell _that_ sort of shoddy workmanship. They get too hot over here. After about 3 seconds of drilling they start melting and epoxy's....D'Oh!