found this on usenet, of all places:

From: "Ed" Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc References: Subject: Re: Fadal Distributers NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:19:44 CDT

Here in Detroit, Fadal and CSI Cardenas parted ways last year. Cardenas is now selling a line of machines under the Brute name and the Fadals are being sold by a company called VMC Technologies.

Ed

Additionally, I found their specs here:

One machine weighs 30,865 lbs, and the other 37,400 lbs, not bad.

Ignoramus9750

Great. Maybe they'll be able to tell you who might be in the market.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gunner, if you'd read the prior responses closely, you'll notice one responder referred to them as "lathes", even after seeing "vertical machining center" plastered all over them.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Ignoramus9750

The reason they have that limiting factor is the fact that they are looking for "highly trained" rather than "highly skilled", rather the same issue throughout industry these days.

Reply to
Pete C.

I agree with you. It even happened to my son. he spent two years in production while telling his bosses he was capable of CNC programming and setup person work. But he had no ticket to prove it. As soon as he got the chance, he quickly moved up to #1 programmer and lead setup guy.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

But the market for "good" machines vs "great" machines doesn't exist except as scrap? I guess it is that big of an advantage in production and depreciation. It makes sense, who wants to be a second or third rate producer.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The market for used "good" machines certainly exists, but it's in smaller non-production shops so those beasts are just outside the acceptable size range. To a large extent if you can't move it with your

1T truck and a decent trailer it's too big to be useable/affordable in those markets. That puts the limit at something around 10k-12k weight, or a nice small VMC.
Reply to
Pete C.

That's like a company advertising for someone with 15 years experience, in a two year old OS.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:30:06 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Or, they are looking for one guy to do exactly what the last guy did. Never mind if he hard the certificate to do everything when he started.

pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 20 Oct 2014

13:49:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

My Uncle had this spiel:

"I was born at the age of three, a six foot high midget. I found it difficult to find work my first two years. It wasn't that they weren't hiring six foot tall midgets, but that they all wanted three years of experience."

pyotr filipivich

A few more years of 3D printing and they will ALL be obsolete!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A few more decades perhaps. Current 3D printing aint' even close except for very high end very expensive setups that require not just a super expensive 3D printer, but also a furnace for sintering metal and plenty of other ancillary equipment to produce what a used VMC can produce for a fraction of the cost. Yea, 3D printing can do complex internal stuff you can't readily do on a VMC, but that stuff is also rarely needed for real world parts.

Reply to
Pete C.

A local manufacturer advertised for someone to build test fixtures for medical electronics. I applied, and detailed the test fixture work I did at Microdyne. Four years wasn't enough to be considered. How many people do they think were looking for work, like that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Still some bugs to work out. That Obama the Democrats printed, is defective.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They can use pure copper, bronze, and another metal I can't recall. They have some really large ones that make cars now. Parts like frames and bumpers...everything.

Kinda cool. - oh and the other cool thing is the birds are attacking these flying spy things. Goose jumped on and a smaller bird of some type maybe a starling. Saw it on video's on Yahoo.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 20 Oct 2014

22:04:48 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Obviously, the HR department has no practical knowledge of what the company does. Like the one looking to hire a Java programmer with 5 years experience - the first couple months after the roll out.

pyotr filipivich

The fixtures I built and maintained were for mil & Areospace grade Telemetry equipment that sold for up to $80K. Their produducs were under $50, retail.

They thought Java programming was software for coffee makers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, more than one, eh? And in _FL_, of all places. ;) Maybe they'll call you back after they get zero more responses.

Reply to
Larry Jaques