Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

Gunner Asch on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:02:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Its a simple procedure involving lasers." "Coool!"

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

That sounds almost as fun as metal splinters.

So much for my idea of upgrading my inline skating grocery cart with a stainless steel axle. After watching some videos on Youtube of smoke (while using a lubricant) coming out of the stainless steel, I just put the old steel axle back in place. I needed to upgrade the wheels, add some stuff, and clean it anyway.

Reply to
John Doe

Piece of cake.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Yeah but. ;)

Stainless steel ain't an upgrade! LOL :)

Stainless steel is for -corrosion- -resistance-. It's quick to gall and has other bad properties. Not always but it's usually soft, like your 304.

----------------------

Picture the perfect cake recipe. :)

Add four times too much of one of the ingredients so the cake won't rust. Only if you want non-rusting cake, is stainless steel a good idea. xD

For knife blades it's crap. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Cool, R. :)

I did something different today. Switched from drilling 9/16" holes with a round-shanked-bit to 5/8" holes with a tri-cut-shanked-bit.

Wow! Was it easier! Drill bit hit those left over hunks and sheared 'em off like it meant business. None of that frustrating drill bit stopping and pulling the drill and and starting over ten times crap.

:)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Cool, thanks for that. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

---> my

Reply to
alvinj

They are great -- but my sets of bits supplies ground with split points all stop being split point about one size above 1/16", so I did not bother posting to mention that option.

Yep.

Indeed so.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Actually...you just havent developed "the touch" well enough.

Seriously.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It is all relative Richard. Little drill - you don't push very hard. Big drills you do.

When I was Edwards AFB the guys in the Experimental Shop made some

1/1000th inch drill bits and drilled holes in some thin brass shim stock..... now that took some finesse :-)
Reply to
John B.

Couple years ago,Juniors FiL sent in a bucket of drill bits for the DD treatment. One caught my eye; apparently a 1/2" carbide bit that had lost it's bite and been re-ground in desperation. I carefully sharpened it to the proper geometry and keenly sharp lips, then drilled a 1/16" hole through the web and attached a tag reading "DRILL SHAPED OBJECT - USE ONLY FOR MAKING HOLES IN ROOM TEMPERATURE BUTTER" From all reports, Larry totaly lost it when he saw the tag.

Reply to
geraldrmiller