Toolholder tightening fixtures - CAT40

Like these:

There are basically 3 types here: The first couple seem to have two parts, then the Huot clamp type, and toward the bottom, the kind I have, the "rotary" for $100, except mine is without the rotatry, you just drop the fixture into a vise.

I'd like to bolt something to the side of the Fadal, and I thought I had seen something that bolts around a *corner* edge.

What do people here use? Any other types of these fixtures? Any preferences for any particular one in the above link? Not sure what the pro's/con's are to each style. The one I have is not so great for long pull studs, or even getting to the pull stud.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Does what I need. Have the same type in NMTB 30 as well. Both are welded to a bit of 1/2" plate thats lag bolted to a workbench. Doesnt do studs though.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you're going to be changing out pull studs frequently then get one that mounts the tool horizontally.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Be aware that studs can only be removed & replaced a finite number of times before their strength is compromised.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve:

That's interesting, I don't believe I've ever heard that emphasized before . While I was at Avion we used the same pull studs for like... hmmm, 15 year s without one breaking. They were changed all the time so the same toolhol ders could be run in the Fadals, and the Haas (which take different length pull studs - for those that don't know). Had a couple pull studs loosen wh ile in the machine. What a God-Awful noise THAT made. Didn't do the insid e of the spindle any favors either.

Reply to
BottleBob

I proly won't change studs that often, but I think I won the bid on a unit that can be mounted either vertically or horizontally unit, either on a table OR on a cabinet face, which is where I'm going to mount it (fadal cabinet)

Horizontal has other minor advantages, as well, ito tool insertion at a given protrusion. Mebbe I'll split the diff and mount it at 45 deg.... lol

A little known but apparently quality company makes this, American Sun.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I tighten them down alright, just that I don't tighten the living dogshit out of em.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT