NewsMax scams

There aren't all that many sane people around any more, Ig.

Reply to
Richard

Whenb I browse the web to read news, I often see paid advertisements that are disguised as news links (example "Why Billionaires are dumping their stocks").

Those often lead to NewsMax, and feature very scripted, uncritical infomercials, disguised as interviews. Those infomercials sell bogus financial books (such as "Aftershock") and subscriptions.

Any half sane person any decline to pay any money for any of those books and services, just because of the way they are dishonestly advertised. And yet, advertising continues unabated, no doubt because it actually works.

I find the sheer volume of all this false advertising to be extremely annoying. But additionally, I wonder if they place those ads in conservative magazines because conservaties are particularly gullible. In other words, if snake oil is advertised in a "conservative" publication, then conservatives buy it uncritically?

WTF?

Ignoramus11949

The gullible span the political spectrum, and tend to shift back and forth across it due to their gullibility and whoever has convinced them to shift left or right at any particular time. From what I've seen there is a tendency for them to shift to the left to join the FSA since it seems easier than actually working. The 420 set fits this well since their few remaining brain cells lead them to think that everything should be free.

Now for my plug for a non bogus book I recommend:

Pete C.

I'm not sure that there ever were.... Just that the Internet makes it so apparent :-)

Reply to
John B.

So you are not reading any lefty sites? Those very same ads appear all over the Leftwing blogs and sites.

WTF...are you really that blind and stupid?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sure there are. But they keep their heads down, their mouths shut and try desperately to find something to eat.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I am trying desperately to eat less.

Ignoramus11949

I just bought it, hope I will have time to read it.

Ignoramus11949

Time Business and Money April 5, 2013

... As the recent crisis in Cyprus demonstrates, a minor dislocation can become a threat to the entire global financial system overnight.

The U.S. is deeply troubled too. Deficits remain enormous, and the checks and balances of the political system have turned into a logjam.

In a new book, David Stockman, President Ronald Reagan?s budget director, chronicles the relentless downward spiral of America?s political and financial systems. He concludes: ?The future is bleak ? When the latest bubble pops, there will be nothing to stop the collapse.? ...

Reply to
Richard

"Ignoramus11949" wrote in message news:RbidnUXZtcKaPeDMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

I think they may be targeting the elderly instead of conservatives in general. Look at periodicals aimed at typically younger outdoorsmen. The alternate-energy material I read leans toward the feel-good left and is also filled with scams aimed at wishful readers who lack a scientific education.

We grew up learning to evaluate and ignore commercial propaganda just as you did the government's. I saw yours first-hand in the "Soviet Life" magazine I subscribed to.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Everyone bends to their particular weakness when something states things which are in line with the person's world view.

And progressives buy the stuff advertised in progressive pubs.

Is it worth the $25? Or was his get-rich-quick scheme to write a book and charge a lot for it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think it is, since it's in depth coverage of the Argentine economic collapse and the ongoing results of that collapse, something the media hasn't covered. The collapse was 2001 and here we are in 2013 and there has been *no* recovery in Argentina, more than half the population is below the poverty line, etc. The rumblings over the Falkland islands recently had nothing to do with the islands, but rather were an attempt by the Argentine government to distract the populace from the total failure to rebuild the economy. It's important stuff to understand since there are strong signs the same is headed our way (Greece, Spain, Cypress, etc.). If anything Argentina shows how recovery will not be remotely quick.

Reply to
Pete C.

Well that "mouths shut" criterion certainly leaves you out of the "sane" group, doesn't it, gumball.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Yes, maybe it is indeed an elderly scam. Who else is so worried about their savings. What those promoters recommended when the book was published 4 years ago or so, was to sell all stocks and real estate and to "invest" in long term put options on stocks.

The book is available for free at

They also offer an array of paid "services" to help their clients part with their money.

I agree that plenty of people are naturally resistant to such scams, but I am also sure that the promoters would not fund advertising if it did not bring them additional incremental profit.

Ignoramus12769

REAL DATA? Nah, the media don't cover that.

I've just been reading the online pages at Amazon and will likely buy the book, too. It sure sounds non-bogus so far, after reading the TOC. I really don't like the price (preferring to nab $100 books for a buck), especially because it came from what is/was de turd world, but if it can head us off from that same potentiality, it may be well worth it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So what's so hard about using Firefox and adblock-plus?

You wonder, indeed. You just established that they advertise in things you read yourself, which are probably not very conservative, and that the advertising is successful.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Well, the media did cover the Argentina collapse in 2001, what they haven't done is any followup which would point out the total lack of recovery, or forensic analysis to show the details of why the collapse occurred (same reasons our collapse is coming).

Self published books are a bit more, there is a section in the book covering that and the commentary received from publishers who wanted the book "toned down" from the reality it was covering. Don't think the book will head anything off, that's not what it's about, it's about understanding what is coming (SHTF vs. EOTWAWKI) and how to adapt to survive the best in that new more than half the population in poverty reality.

Reply to
Pete C.

That might scare people. You know they're against doing that.

It would also require in-depth investigation and analysis, which they, evidently, no longer have any capability for whatsoever.

Check.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I do read Fox News almost every day (among other things), but they do, indeed, advertise everywhere.

Ignoramus10107