Drill Press Foot Switch

Yes that is them. About fist size and normally black. I have a nice one that auto-reverse - haven't run it yet.
Martin
On 2/6/2017 10:45 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

    Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and one of the Buck for larger taps.
    They all use planetary gears to slow the speed during tapping, and speed up during backing out.
    I've fitted each with a MT-2 arbor to fit my drill press, but it will work just as well with a cylindrical shank in a collet or tool holder in the mill.
    Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new. All of mine came from used sources, and the Buck one is out of production anyway. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

No kidding. Even the small import starts at about 150-199. Still as machine tools go they are well worth that and then some if you tap a lot of holes. I tap so many 10-32 and 1/4-20 holes I hardly ever take my tapping heads off their respective drill presses. I'm actually thinking about setting up a drill press island in the shop. 6 bench tops around a table with my most common drills and taps all premounted and only removed to be replaced with the same size when they get dull.

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... have you looked at the Burgmaster turret drill press?
    Search eBay on: "Burgmaster turret drill press"
and you will find a number, from quite reasonable prices to quite scary prices. :-)
    I learned about them because my #30 Tapmatic was marked as being for a Burgmaster turret drill press.
    The press has 6 spindles, so you can have it set up with three drills and three taping heads -- save a lot of space vs your island of six drill presses. :-) (Or, six tapping heads with drill-taps, if you are making through holes.)
    The first hit is auction # 172509444719
but it has only 12 hours to go, so it may be sold by the time you see this.
    If you are planning to buy six drill presses for your island, even one of the more expensive (and in better shape) ones might be worth your while.
    Note that each spindle has its own depth stop, which makes it good for drilling and tapping with a Tapmatic head. (I keep planning to get one, but have not yet. :-)
    Your island would make more sense if there are more workers in your shop than just you. The turret press is better for a single worker.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Yes - I have a TapMatic. good info Don.
On 2/6/2017 5:31 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 11:45:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet. My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_ as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

    Yes -- with the exception that changing belts is still necessary for high torque at low speeds, or for achieving top speed (if the combination of top belt speed and top VFD boost does not go too fast for the bearing in the mill. (Of course, with some mills, there is simply the variable speed crank on the pulleys. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Larry Jaques wrote:

At least you learned something, in the eighth grade! ;-)
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

The other thing I learned then was not to get my tie caught in that spinny thing on the left side of the lathe.
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ties are only worn for weddings and funerals. :(
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:03:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Then and now. The safety rules we were given in the '60s had last been updated in the '50s.
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle
Larry Jaques wrote:

I've only worn a tie about three times, since 1972. That was when I was in the Army. After that, it was for one wedding, and two funerals. Before you ask, it wasn't for the same people.
The shop classes I took in the mid '60s stressed removing any loose clothing, before class started. No ties, sweaters or baggy long sleeve shirts were allowed. If a shirt was long sleeve, the cuffs had to fit tight, and be buttoned. This was due to the fact of the metalshop and woodshop teachers having been hired from factories.
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

In the mid 70's I read an article that expressed surprise at the 'uniform' of a t shirt and jeans that had become standard for engineering in small high-tech startups, I think in defiance of IBM and Xerox. As recently as 10 years ago an article on Segway commented on the similar 'dress code' there. I never saw anyone imitate Dean, though.
-jsw
On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 4:31:28 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's a dress-up day for me if I'm wearing shoes.
On 4/02/2017 6:00 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I set up a foot switch on the mister on my manual mill. I ran on small compressors for several years before finally getting a large commercial duty job, so was always looking for ways to cut air consumption.
Also had a foot switch set up with an outlet so I could use it for my drill press or shop vac.
Jon

    Just make it so it is in a guard, so something falling, or a foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the switch would be good.
    Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.
    What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three push buttons on the front. Two in guards for forward and reverse, and one with a big red cap for stop. (Oh yes, and a pot for speed.) The red STOP button is in the place easiest to reach, and I can even hit it with my nose to stop while both hands are occupied. :-) What I really like is to set the speed to barely turning, hit the FWD button while the tip of the bit is engaged, and then up the speed once it starts cutting.
    But -- there are times when I would like to have a foot switch, perhaps just for stop.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

My drill press has a toggle switch that connects either the regular switch or the foot switch. So even if the foot switch is left on the floor it won't energize the drill press if the toggle switch is in the regular position. The setup works great. Eric
Bob La Londe wrote:

I walk with a cane, so I installed a footswitch about 15 years ago. That lets me work one handed, with the added feature that if something goes wrong just stepping back from the drill press will turn it off. Mine is wired in series with the rocker switch for the motor, and it is rated for 20A. This allows the light to be turned on, when it's needed.
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.