Drill press recommendations

is this the one?

Jeff B

That would indeed be one of the genre. If the top of the motor comes to your eybrows.. its one of them.

Actually pretty handy machines in a rather nice footprint, with enough beef to allow you to do some good work. Id not try running a 5" facemill on it..but for most other tasks, good enough, particularly with a 1hp+ motor and a solid retangular ram.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

See previous post of a moment ago.

If this is something you are interested in..contact snipped-for-privacy@aol.com and see if he can get you a deal on one, or even a scratch n dent.

He has some GOOD sources of Jet products, him being a warranty dealer etc.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Amazon Tools are running 10% off on many items (including the Jet stuff) through the 4th of July... free shipping (even to residential areas) and no tax make it a pretty good time to buy... at least that's what I told myself yesterday when I ordered the Jet BDB-1340A lathe :)

I'm tempted to just jump on a Jet mill too, but I think it would be smarter to first wait and see what my floorspace looks like after the lathe gets here... course that will be after the sale... doh!

I'll contact your friend too, I appreciate the info.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff B

Another quick question,

In a nutshell, if I only have 220V 1ph power, would I be better off getting the Jet model with the single phase motor or the 3 phase motor and using a converter? I haven't quite grasped the pros/cons of a 3 phase machine running on converted single phase power.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff B

I'd just get the 1 phase motor, unlesss you'd like variable speed. Then a VFD and three phase motor is the way to go.

Rotary converters and 3 phase motors are popular because that's the only way many machines come. And used three phase motors are dirt cheap.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend