Eat mo' squirrel

A squirrel hunter I know tried barking them for a while, but decided to just shoot them in the head, it was easier. He was good enough to get 4 squirrels with 5 rounds. He would go home with dinner when he had 4.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I actually saw him do it with a CO2 handgun. I'm not sure it was a .177, or .22. He was pretty adept at it. was powerful enough that today he would need a permit for it here in Canada - which means the muzzle velocity was higher than 500 ft/second and more than 4.2 lbs muzzle Energy.. Kinda think it was a crosman, not sure. Looked a lot like a Benjamin (wood stock, longish pistol - not like a Glock. It was a multi-shot - may have been a revolver??? Can't remember the details

- it was back in about '66. He shot rats with it, as well as the squirrels - and the occaisional skunk or raccoon.Powerfull enough to go through a 1 inch fence-board like butter.And it would go through the fender of a '51 chevy from 50 feet or so. (used to shoot out at the gravel pit - and there were always a few wrecks around)

Reply to
clare

Tried that with my .30 winchester with a red squirrel on a beech tree but got too much bark. The squirrel went out about six feet then down to the ground, did an outward spiral gaining about six inches radius each turn till he got past the tree then went thataway at high speed.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Sounds like fun, but to feed yourself, try aiming at the animal instead of the tree next time, eh, Gerry? Make it a head shot. There isn't much meat on a Tree Rat.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The house I grew up in had a bg spruce tree out front about 100 feet from the house. this tree started growing a spindly leader that Dad wanted to get cut off. We were having lunch with the wood cutting gang when one chap suggested that since Dad was such a good shot, he should shoot it off. First couple attempts were not successfull with the twelve gauge and the originator of the idea told him to use his .303 Savage (open sights). First shot two feet of leader parted company with the tree. I have also seen him take the head off a partridge at fifty paces with that rifle.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

There was a time that I knew the history of air guns (I had a book on the history of them that I got from the Outdoor Life Book Club, but it was loaned out once and it's gone). One thing I remember is that high-pressure, high-velocity air guns are very vulnerable to dieseling on the lubricating oil. Spring-types are particularly vulnerable, but other types will do it as well.

A little lubricating oil, dieseling in the gun, can double velocity.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I should have read more carefully. I see that you've covered the subject.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I guess we all get lucky once in a while. Apparently you really have to explode some wood to kill the squirrel. But if you hit it just right...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(Snipped to demonstrate the marvels of advanced technology!)

657 feet per second from a Daisy pump is not weak!
Reply to
Richard

Was in a pine tree. Likely wouldn't have worked in a beech??

Reply to
clare

Ya' got me. That's over my head.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Excellent.

_If_ I get it when I stop for her wedding, I'll bring it down with me to your house. Got any extra aluminum or carbon shaft arrows? ;) I'll sure get my workout just practicing with that bow.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Depends on the projectile. If it's a copper plated steel BB that's a bit slow. If it's a 14+ grain pellet its screaming fast. LOL. They claim 750 FPS with a BB, but 700-730 is realistic.

That would probably be a fair speed if you are shooting the typical 7+ grain pellet like a Crossman premier.

I was referring to the difference between your current speed and your previously posted speed.

For comparison my Nitro Piston bone stock shoots 10.5 grain dome pellets around 845 FPS.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok, gotcha.

I just saw the mew Daisy "Powerline 880" on the shelves at wallyworld. They say 800 FPS on the box. $44

Mine was $30 new.

Reply to
Richard

I saved money and worked in the grocery store as a kid to buy mine. Don't recall what it cost anymore, but I think that was in 1978. Might have been

first powder rifle. A Sears (not a Ted Williams) .22 semi auto rimfire old enough not to have a serial number. It made me enough money to buy my next three guns. None of which made me any money. LOL.

I would take any promotional numbers from Daisy (or Crosman) with a huge grain of salt. The published numbers on Pyramid Air are 750 for an 880 with BBs. I didn't see any Chronied shot strings from them. Personally owning one that was built before they turned them into all plastic toys I think even that is overly optimistic. I've gotten back into air gunning this last year, and they seem to be accumulating. I've never owned a PCP rifle before either, but I've found modest deals on two of them that should be arriving next week, or rather this week now I guess. Time to see if I can find a smoking deal on a SCUBA tank compressor. Either that or see who sells compressed Nitrogen at the best price, and find a high pressure regulator for it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe