Asparagus soup recipe

As promised here's the recipe:

1 lb asparagus 1.5 cups chicken stock 4 tbs chopped shallots 1 cup milk or1/2 & 1/2 2.5 tbs butter 2 tbs flour 1/3 cup shelled pistachios Salt and pepper to taste

Throw the asparagus into a pot with 2 cups water. Cover and cook until just tender. Pour off 1 cup water and save. Drain the asparagus and set aside. Put 1/2 tbs butter in the pot and cook shallots until just starting to become transparent. Put the asparagus, the reserved 1 cup of asparagus cooking water, and the chicken broth in the pot with the shallots. Add the pistachios. Cook for a few minutes to soften the nuts a little. Using a blender of some sort, I like stick blenders, puree the soup. Make it as smooth as possible. Now put the soup through a strainer. If pureed well enough almost no fibers will be left in the strainer. Any fibers in the soup will ruin the texture, so strain well and re-puree if needed. Melt the remaining butter in a small pot, add the flour to make a roux, and cook until light brown. Browning the roux really adds to the good flavor of the soup. Pay attention, stirring often so it doesn't burn. Add the milk or 1/2 &

1/2 slowly using a whisk to stir so there will be no lumps. Cook until it just comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Add to the pureed asparagus and heat through. Serve with roasted garlic sourdough bread. Though I haven't tried it yet I think a little cayenne sprinkled on top would be good. In the interest of full disclosure you should know that my recipe above is based on a recipe in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook, twelfth edition, copyright 1980. I have changed it some from the book but the basic recipe comes from the book and I need to give credit where credit is due. Speaking of cookbooks, I have several because I like to cook and I'm the cook in our house. And the Fannie Farmer Cookbook is one of my favorites. I actually have two different editions and they differ from each other in many ways. Eric
Reply to
etpm

Sounds delish already. I'll sub organic broth for the chicken stock. Stock has about 27# of salt in it.

Now put the soup

Howzbout a paint strainer funnel? works for me.

OH, yeah!

I'll try that and cumin to see which works better.

I'm single. I do all my own cooking, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unless you can puree the soup exceedingly fine I don't think the paint strainer funnel will work. But try it anyway. Organic chicken stock may contain as much salt as non-organic. If you make your own then you can control the salt. If I need chicken flavoring in a hurry I figured out a way to make some. Cut up very fine or grind some chicken. About an ounce. Cook until really brown in a little olive oil. Then grind the cooked, crisp chicken in a mortar and pestle until basically oily chicken dust. This will strongly flavor about 1 cup of water or milk for gravy or some bechamel for a chicken pie. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I don't use the entire stalk, so I usually avoid the majority of fibers as a standard practice. I also try to buy thin, tender stalks so they are less fibrous to begin with.

I'll likely retain some unfiltered soup as I prefer lumpy soup.

I'm working on some chicken chili soup now. It's 1.5 gallons of your everyday vegetable and barley soup with a can of chili and several spiced/baked chicken breasts diced and tossed in. I made it Thursday and froze most of it. I use fresh broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, carrots, celery, a diced onion, some Fred Meyer soup mix (alphabet pasta, red and green lentils, barley, and several types of beans.) I add enough Bragg's amino acids for the salt content (1/3 that of soy sauce), garlic powder, cumin, a bit of curry powder, some sesame seeds, and pepper. The finish is a can of coconut milk, added after the heat is removed. I make it thick, then thin during the warmup. In all, it's on the stove about 4 hours so flavors blend nicely. The pasta and lentils soak in broth overnight so they cook completely without too high a temp.

I buy organic BROTH, not stock, and get the low-sodium version for $2 a quart. I use maybe 3 or 4 of those a year.

And only takes an hour to make!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

More like 15 minutes. Less time for me than going to the store. And you can choose to leave fibers in the soup but they get stuck in your teeth. Lumpy doesn't describe this soup when poorly filtered. Eric

Reply to
etpm

On Feb 23, 1:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote: > As promised here's the recipe: >1 lb asparagus > 1.5 cups chicken stock

Where'd the rest of the chick'n go?

Reply to
Transition Zone

Is that with the bones, too? Powdered bones might taste alright. Bone meal?

Reply to
Transition Zone

The important question, does your pee still stink if you filter the asparagus well?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I keep both Beef & Chicken broth in the pantry and buy them a dozen cans at a time. I can't remember the last time I ran to the store for a single item.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you offer classes? Id be happy to send my wife and DIL

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

No, but I can reccomend the 'School of Hard Knocks'.

I buy most non perishables by the tray, or carton. I asked the manager of Save-A-Lot to order extras for me, so I can get unopened bulk items like an eight pack of soda in two liter bottles. I shop at Sam's Club about once a month, and generally only go shopping two or three times a month. I save a lot of miles on the old truck that way. My rule of thumb is, 'If something is down to half the bulk package, get another.' A few are allowed to go down to a quarter, but they are large or not used as often.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes.

Reply to
etpm

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 25 Feb 2013

11:44:32 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Use the last one, buy two". The replacement, and the spare.

Light bulbs, fuses, widgets, thing-gummies and what nots.

pyotr filipivich

That's absolutely the best question I forgot to ask him, too, Karl. I await the answer with baited breath. (salmon patties for lunch)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hve over 100 spare light bulbs. I bought them before they went from 4/$1 to $2 each. I buy most hardware by the box/bag/bundle. When I had the electronics shop, I bought most components the same way. 5, 25,

100 or even 1000 at a time. You waste a lot of time & money chasing parts, so why make it worse?
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Pete, you're gonna be in a world of shit when (not if) the SHTF. Get a bit more stock now, before it's too late. Cycle through it so the older stock is used first.

When the SHTF, we might not _have_ lights. Stock up.

Reply to
Larry Jaques