Ebay Quill Kits

What's the opinion of the $35 quill kits that are all over ebay? Are they pretty good, or at least better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

--Tried the link and got a "no longer in the database" message.

Reply to
steamer

Correct link:

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

--Oh, one of those. Wast of money; that's why I invented these:

steamer

Cute-I've run turret lathes and chuckers with pointers like that on the dials. One had a couple pointers numbered to correspond to the turret stations. But I'm talking about a readout for the quill, not the knee.

I can't justify the $180 the Mitutoyo version sells for, but would spring for $35 if it's not a total POS.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Given the passable quality of the $20 import digital calipers, it seems believable.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I bought one of those for use as a cross-slide readout on my lathe. Works OK, but....

If I ever get water based coolant on the thing, it stops reading for about a day while it dries out. Not good.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

That's not likely to be a problem for me with the readout mounted up on the head of the mill. I'll report back if I decide to try one.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons