Ebay Quill Kits

What's the opinion of the $35 quill kits that are all over
ebay? Are they pretty good, or at least better than a poke
in the eye with a sharp stick?
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
--Tried the link and got a "no longer in the database" message.
Reply to
steamer
Correct link:
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
--Oh, one of those. Wast of money; that's why I invented these:
steamer
Cute-I've run turret lathes and chuckers with pointers like that on the dials. One had a couple pointers numbered to correspond to the turret stations. But I'm talking about a readout for the quill, not the knee.
I can't justify the $180 the Mitutoyo version sells for, but would spring for $35 if it's not a total POS.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Given the passable quality of the $20 import digital calipers, it seems believable.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
I bought one of those for use as a cross-slide readout on my lathe. Works OK, but....
If I ever get water based coolant on the thing, it stops reading for about a day while it dries out. Not good.
Neil
Reply to
Neil
That's not likely to be a problem for me with the readout mounted up on the head of the mill. I'll report back if I decide to try one.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons