eclipse. car tint vs welders mask

Hello. I was wondering if 18% car tint would be the same as using a welders mask to use with my camera. I was thinking about putting it on my sun roof
and having my camera under it. Do you think that would protect my camera f rom being damaged? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like a good way to burn a hole in the camera chip! An arc welding glass is WAYYY darker than 18%, maybe more like 1% transmisson of light.
Jon
Ok I was just trying to figure out a way to take pics without killing my camera. I did just pick up a UV filter lens for it. Would that help? I just don't want to take chances. Thank you
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:56:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have 2 predictions:
Headline 10am PDT 8/21/2017: Emergency Rooms Already Swamped With Blind People
Headline Noon 8/21/2017: 16Mil Warranty Claims Disallowed As Millennials Find Eclipses Excluded
And something I read online yesterday, Thursday, was that the roads along the total eclipse line in Oregon were already filled with campers set to watch the eclipse on Monday. Who has heard of Prineville, OR, population 9,928? Me, either, and I live in OR. We have 4 million people in Oregon and expect another -million- to come watch! <thud> Sure glad I'm 150 miles south of the path.
http://ktvl.com/news/offbeat/traffic-backups-already-forming-in-oregon-4-days-before-eclipse
- I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body. Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money identity disorder. --anon
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:56:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

UV filter won't do a heck of a lot of good either.
Thank you Jon. I did find a multi coated UV Filter for my camera. I also have the glasses.
I am going to do some more research on it to see if there is anything else I can do.
If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I'm not taking any chances with my eyes or my equipment.
Have a great day. Misty

Turn on your damn TV. Or login to any number of websites. You'll find eclipse pictures better than you can take. And you won't blow out your eyes setting up your camera.
I can't understand why people who are concerned about damaging their camera are willing to risk their eyesight on possibly the most risky situation they'll ever encounter.
Are two minutes of, "ok that's dark" worth risking a lifetime of, "everything's dark?"
Stay home and turn on your TV.

The test to see if the solar glasses work is a very easy test.
1) Look at the sun -- you should see it and be comfortable 2) Look at other bright objects, such as a clear incandescent light bulb, you should at worst barely see the burning filament.

Yes, unique, too. :/

Only your local ER doctor will know for sure.
- I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body. Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money identity disorder. --anon

    A UV filter won't do much for what comes through the atmosphere from the sun. The (eclipse) glasses will.

    What kind of camera and lens? If just a small digital camera with a lens no bigger than the maximum circle you can superimpose over a single eclipse glasses lens, just hold it in front.
    If a larger zoom lens, make an opaque sheet (aluminum would. be nice), with a hole to match the eclipse glasses lens, and large enough to cover the full diameter of the camera lens. Paint the aluminum side towards the camera lens with a flat black pain.
    If you have a mirror telephoto, do the same but make the hole off-center so it is over part of the clear area of the front element of the lens. A central hole will be blocked by the mirror mount. This will let through less light than you would want for your camera if it were the same sensitivity as your eyes, but most digital cameras can automatically switch to much greater sensitivity than the daytime sensitivity of your eyes.
    A true digital SLR camera will only expose the sensor for the very short time the shutter is open. The kind of digital camera which uses the display as a viewfinder has the sensor exposed almost full time, and it is more likely to be damaged if the light is not sufficiently reduced.

    If you're thinking of using a UV filter for either the camera or your eyes, you *are* taking chances with them.
    None of this is certain, as I don't know your camera (nor your eyes, actually).

    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:41:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not a chance. 18% transmission vs recommended less than 1% 2 #9 welding filters stacked gets close - I can JUST see the LED light on my blackberry through them. A 9 and a 10 together are dark enough to be safe.Not sure how much you will see through them.

The #5 + #10 I have makes the sun appear about as bright as the full moon.
BTW auto-darkening helmets won't stay dark without the flicker of an arc. I check if my Jackman is on by aiming it toward the sun and waving my glove in front of it. It only darkens momentarily. -jsw
On 08/18/2017 05:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Get creative. Watch the sun with a spinning fan in front of your auto-darkening filter. (Sounds to me like a good way to go blind _and_ get a headache too. Of course YMMV.)

in message

Sure. Walk around wearing a welding helmet and propellor beanie and tell people they protect you against dangerous rays from outer space.

This Jackman EQC Professional stays dark in the sun with Sensitivity at or near HI. At the lower settings I had it on before it turns off about a second after waving my hand over it with Delay at Max. I don't have any other brands to test. -jsw
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 18:36:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I checked both 5+9 and 5+10, both are totally inadequate. A 9+10 looks pretty good.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not even close!
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/how-make-solar-eclipse-sun-viewer http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/projects/153637/how-to-make-a-solar-eclipse-viewer/ http://www.npr.org/2017/08/17/543633362/make-your-own-eclipse-viewer
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/how-photograph-solar-eclipse
Welding shade 12-14 works. but unless you can find it locally shipping isn't going to work unless you pay a LOT extra.
--
Steve W.

Why would you buy it online when every local welding supply shop will have it available - if not in stock, for next day delivery at no extra cost.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

None of the shops around me have anything over 12 in stock, 13-14 are special order. That's why I posted that.
--
Steve W.