fa: atlas and south bend milling attachment for 10/12 inch lathe

Saaved

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Terry, you can buy a minimill for not much more than these milling attachments usually ebay for. A minimill can do a lot of serious work within a working envelope a little larger than a brick. I have a nice mill-drill now, but I still use the minimill whenever possible.

Reply to
Rex

Soft steel. Make them from dowel, then anneal. You want them softer than the stud they bear against.

Reply to
Rex

And I have seriously considered buying one ... but again it comes down to room . I have way too much stuff in my 8X12 shed already (lathe , two welders , OA torch , shelving , rollaway toolbox , over half of a

1939 Harley (in pieces), and one three foot long cabinet with top - plus several boxes of parts ) . There is literally no place to put another machine , if I do buy one I will have to either move some stuff out or add to the shed . That's one of the biggest reasons I haven't yet ordered a machine . Snag , who has to leave the shed to turn around .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yes.

A good bronze is almost as hard as mild steel, and a bevel ground on the edge of the dovetail angle will keep any mushrooming from becoming a problem.

Soft steel or a good hard bronze -- and bevel the edges so mushrooming does not restrict removal. I agree that brass is too soft.

My only example of this is in an old Atlas/Craftsman 6x18, and the lathe is old enough (and has been through enough owners) so I would not consider anything which I might find to be authoritative. And I don't *use* this machine anyway (and have not for a large number of years. For most of my work, I use a 12x24" Clausing, and for certain types of work an Emco Maier Compact-5/CNC (5" swing over bed), which is particularly nice in that I can cut metric threads at just the flip of a switch. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols