FA: dohikkies and thingamabobs

Somebody take this junk off my hands please, it's taking up room and I don't know what to do with it. One gizmo is a C-clamp kind of thing, with a twirly handle and little numbers on it I can hardly read. Comes in a wooden box with other stuff, looks like polished nails with flat ends, 4 different lengths. Another one is in a red plastic case that says "Bluepoint" on it, but I don't see any points or anything blue. Bunch of short, heavy black metal tubes of different sizes. But it has 5 bids, and about ready to end. Can't figure out why anyone would want this but if you think you can use it better be quick. Then there's a wooden box with metal rods in it, a label in the box says "end measures". What the...? Looks pretty old, like it came up from a pirate ship off the bottom of the ocean or sumptin'.

Ken Grunke

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:08:19 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ken Grunke quickly quoth:

Yup, a machinest c-clamp allright. Crank that puppy down real tight now, y'hear? They's built ta take it. Yeeeeeeeeee hawwwwww!

Oh, them thar thangs is butt depth gauges from the Navy.

The gasket punches sure generated a lot of traffic, didn't they?

---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====--- Website Design and Update

Larry Jaques

Oh crap. I thought they were centerpunches. Ah well, maybe someone will outbid me. I've got plenty of those numbered C-clamps so I didn't bid on that one, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

According to Ken Grunke :

[ ... ]

Obviously, based on the auction listing, you know more than you let on in the article here. ;-)

Hmm ... from that auction:

====================================================================== The set includes (3) 12" measuring standards, (2) 6", (2) 3", (2) 2", and (2) 1" standards, plus (1) Brown & Sharpe micrometer head which is 3

5/8" long fully retracted with a 1" range.

There is an empty space for a 12" measure, and a bore micrometer but these are not listed on the inside tag so looks like they were never included originally. ======================================================================

That "bore micrometer" empty space was for a second micrometer head -- later sets have them with different color collars, so you can set a minimum and a maximum size at need for tolerance work.

But -- in any case, the label *does* show that there are supposed to have been two micrometer heads, though there is a place stamped for the number of 12" rods which does match what is present.

It would be nice to see indications as to whether both micrometers are calibrated only in 0.001" divisions, or whether they have a vernier for 0.0001" readings.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

for what it's worth, I have a set like that "pratt and whitney" thing that I don't think I need, and the micrometer heads are there and sealed - presumably from a metrology lab - it was one of those things that looked cool at the time - think I'd be happy to trade it for something I can actually make use of.....

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

Thanks DoN. I was a bit confused about that 2nd mike deal, and glossed over it in my impatience to get the listing up. I figured the pics would give the story. Wouldn't you agree that the empty space held a bore mike? Sure looks like it to me. BTW, for anyone's info, the existing mike spindle does have tenths divisions. They're actually visible in the bottom right image (closeup C), but the thing is upside-down which makes it confusing. Another bit of carelessness on my part.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

The Pratt & Whitney thing is a set of end measuring rods for positioning a jig borer. The reason for the two heads is to accomodate both the x and y axes. The collars on the heads and rods keep them in alignment in the troughs described below. I can't imagine using them as inside mics, except perhaps just the mic heads themselves for a very limited range.

I swiped this quote from...

...which does a better job than I could of describing their use:

"The Pratt & Whitney and the Fosdick used the end measure system. It is the same system that can be installed on any machine. There are troughs laid along the X and Y axes. There is a fixed stop on one of the moving or stationary members and a dial indicator on the other. Cylindrical end measuring rods of whole inch lengths are laid in the troughs along with a cylindrical setting micrometer gradated in "tenths". The moving member is then carefully moved so as to contact the rods and micrometer and bring them up to the indicator so that the idicator, also graduated in "tenths" reads zero. This is done for the initial setting. All subsequent settings involve either adding or subtracting end standards and rsetting the micrometers for fractional inch settings. The machine is "In Position" when the dial ndicator reads zero."

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

thanks - I had it explained to me and then I went on vacation and forgot everything - I guess memory is the second thing to go....

meanwhile - if anyone wants a set of these, I'd trade for an aloris brand BX sized cutoff holder and maybe a knurling tool, or ???

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

Well now Ken, I'd say your auction is perfectly descriptive and the items are nothing special, especially that second one. Y'all don't need to look at it or bid against... er, yeah. Nevermind.

Note to the humor impaired: I'm joking. I'm bidding on the second one and am not attemtping auction-tampering. Sheesh.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If I don't win the auction for Ken's, (already had decided that my max bid is as far as I'll go), let's talk. I've got a lot of stuff I also don't use, maybe there's some overlap.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wow, first time I've had an outside channel with a bidder :) Dave, I swear, this item is worth HUNDREDS, it will be a STEAL if you only bid $150, take my word for it!

Now I know what this set is for, I have a twinge of regret for listing it. If you get my set, maybe Bill can use a fancy numbered C-clamp in trade for his?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Grunke

It held another mic head just like the one which you have in the auction. I have a similar set, but with both heads and all two of a possible four 12" rods. The listing on the label is:

2 Inside Micrometers 2" 1" rods 2 2" rods 2 3" rods 2 6" rods 2 12" rods

"Inspected 4-12-53" stamped into the plate. Two blank spots for "reinspected" dates. All the parts were wrapped in protective paper when I got it (at a hamfest).

The "Inside Micrometers" are not intended as bore mics, but in combination with the other rods in something like a jig borer. The rods, and one micrometer are laid in a V groove between a fixed stop and a dial indicator. One or the other is attached to the moving axis, and the other is stationary. So -- you can make a hole in a particular location, zero the dial indicator, and put into the groove a combination of rods plus the micrometer head. Then you move the axis until the dial indicator reads zero again, and you know you have moved a precise distance. Much more accurate than a (possibly worn) leadscrew. They are probably being retired mostly because of the accuracy of available DROs these days. Exclusive of the micrometers, you have three feet of total range with my set, and four feet with your set. Though, since these are supplied in pairs, I believe that the intention was to have it supply offsets on two axes at the same time.

The micrometer heads in my set have a colored sleeve between the lock ring and the stationary end -- red on one, green on the other. The sleeves are Phenolic, I believe.

Note that each of the rods has an increased diameter about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way between the ends, for minimum sag, and to make sure that the center height of all of the rods and the micrometer heads (which they call "Inside Micrometers" are all the same when resting in the V channel.

O.K. I would have to go back to the auction to check.

I see it now. I had not even seen those images before, because they are to the right of the main image, and I had the image size scaled up to 150%, which pushed the thumbnails off the right side of the screen. The satin chrome area of the micrometer on yours is where the colored sleeves are on mine. Perhaps the sleeves are only supplied when there are two micrometers in the set.

What about on the barrel of the Tubular Micrometer Co micrometer? (Later called "Tumico", and even later "Scherr Tumico".

I like the flexibility on your payment options. I, personally, won't deal if I have to use PayPal, so having other options is nice.

I am tempted to bid on the Tubular Micrometer, just to have one. I have that size range covered anyway, and some later micrometers made by Scherr Tumico, but not with the tubular frame that this one has.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN, you are right about the P&W set being for a jig borer, see Ned Simmons' previous post. I also remember reading about jig borers in one of Guy Lautard's bedside readers.

I think you are asking if the Tubular mike has .0001" grads? Nope, sorry.

I'm curious if the hollow frame on this C-clamp is beneficial, or detrimental to accuracy, as far as heat absorption goes.

Take care,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Grunke

Yep -- I was. If it did, it would add accuracy in part of the range covered by other mics. (I've got tenths verniers only on the 0-3" range, beyond that it is only in 0.001" readings.

I think short term beneficial, but beyond that, I don't know. You grip it on the flats, and the thermal expansion would be about equal on the opposed flats, and would not conduct too rapidly to the edges, so they would be fighting each other during the short term, reducing the total expansion.

The thinner walls would heat up more quickly than a solid forging would, however.

And these don't have the insulating grip pads which more modern mics tend to have, so unless you added your own, that would be a negative.

The major benefit is greater rigidity for a given weight, so it is less likely to spring with reasonable feel.

Of course, the interchangeable anvils means that it probably can't be as accurate as a single-range mic anyway. (I've got a Starrett interchangeable anvil one which covers the 8-12" range, which then forced me to get mics in the 6-7" and 7-8" ranges to fill in the gap past the nice boxed set of B&S mics.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Heh. Not going there; I set my bid at a level of "I don't _need_ this, but it fills a gap and I might someday".

If you wanted to cancel my bid and remove the auction, I would have no problem with that. At all. As a seller you can cancel bids; as a buyer, retracting a bid is more complicated. By all means, if you'd like to keep it, and if I'm the only bidder (I think I am), I don't have a problem with that at all. Like I say it's to fill a gap for a measurement tool I don't have, not something I actually _need_.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

well, only about two months after the fact, I listed the gage rods I have on e-bay - I decided that the chance that I'd need them is pretty small - here's the link:

the set is marked as being End Measure Gage Rods for Devlieg Spiramatic Jigmil. The rods in this set are marked to a precision of a ten-thousandth - I wonder if they are really that accurate? anyone know???? oh, and the micrometers in the set are sealed in plastic, so I think this set is usable, not trash like some I've seen.

I also listed a couple of other things that might interest the group, but this one is the most likely to strike your fancy:

Large Hydraulic Cyl>>> for what it's worth, I have a set like that "pratt and whitney" thing