Floor Drain

Reply to
RoyJ

I'm not a plumber or mechanical engineer, but I'll take a shot at this.

It seems what is needed is along the lines of the trap primer. To defeat the evaporation, add some water. Now how? Here's an untried idea: I've seen what seems to be 1/8" copper tubing in hardware stores. I wonder if one could rig up a 1/4 turn stop near the closest sink with 1/4 copper tubing, add a pierced cap and splice in a run of the 1/8" tubing. Then perhaps a kerf could be cut in the concrete or tile grout and the tubing embedded in that. Cover it over with a concrete crack patch from a caulk gun (I assume these exist) and manually prime the drain periodically. Good luck. I have no idea if this is feasible.

Reply to
Richard

Yes - or saw a slot in the floor and put in 1/8" copper tubing, and feed it with a commercial trap primer valve to control the water.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Is it possible to retrofit it with one of these?

John Kasunich

Somewhere (who knows) I've seen a "check valve" made for floor drains that acts with some kind of a spring mechanism that seals the floor drain when not being used.... but allows water (or whatever) to go down the drain when necessary.... I never bought one, but it basically amounts to a "one-way valve" that is mounted under the perforated "lid" for the floor drain.... you might want to look for something like that. HTH Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling