Flywheel teeth repair on tiller possible?

Give me a model and serial number and I'll quote you dealer cost for one.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

engine

I, by no means, am an expert, I'm just trying to think outside the box. If the flywheel can be clocked 90* out, why can't that be done? That way the engine will come to rest at the spots where there are teeth. I imagine the flywheel is probably keyed or has a post that keys it but a new one could always be drilled - hopefully in the right spot.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Reply to
Mike Behnke

You can do most anything if you have the time and equipment, but this truly isn't worth the effort.

Where is Altavoz???

Reply to
HLS

Perhaps, unlike you, someone has the ability and time to repair rather than buy.

Oh? Just how much does the replacement cost? Not a guess, actual part number and best price.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Not only are the magnets an issue, but consider *if* you could do this, you are not, repeat not, eliminating the problem of missing teeth in the flywheel, and when it rotates around to the missing teeth area the bendix in the starter will probably get destroyed or destroy MORE teeth in the flywheel. It won't simply keep tracking until it finds teeth again. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

wrote: (clip) not, eliminating the problem of missing teeth in the flywheel, and when it rotates around to the missing teeth area the bendix in the starter will probably get destroyed or destroy MORE teeth in the flywheel. It won't simply keep tracking until it finds teeth again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ken, I just reread the original post, and I don't believe he said the teeth were "missing." He said they were broken. He also said that by starting the engine with the rope, he could then get the electric starter to work a few times before he had trouble again. I don't know why this would be so, but, I have a mental picture of a ring gear with some BATTERED teeth in two locations, and good teeth everywhere else. I have never seen a tiller ring gear, but I have seen plenty of automotive flywheel ring gears that get that way. The teeth are made with wedge-shaped edges toward the starter gear, so engagement is smooth. Eventually, those wedges may get so battered that the starter pinion does not go in, so it grinds off more metal, and makes matters worse. If that is a correct picture of the ring gear, then, once engaged, the starter should be able to drive all the way around.

Maybe Don can tell us what the actual condition the teeth is in the damaged area.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Just my $0.02?

How abut using a ni-cast rod to build up the teeth, and grind the tops level with the others, and grind/file the teeth to shape carefully to shape then stone polish. Welding slowly to prevent heating the ring gear enough to expand and fall off?

Doing so many classic and antique car restorations, I have no choice but to do this on ring gears, transmission gears ans yes, differential gears too.

They hum, but these aren't daily drivers, only parade specials or garage ornaments for the rich.

Refinish king

Reply to
Refinish King

I would instinctively take it that "broken" teeth would be missing..... He also said that when the engine is sitting in a particular position, the starter just sits there and spins - which also leads me to believe that the teeth on the ring gear are missing - otherwise the bendix, being thrown out in the fully extended position would be grinding on what's left of the "broken" teeth....

Agree to the fact that if there are partial teeth there, the starter pinion would be able to crank the engine....

I still wouldn't hesitate to attempt a repair - rather than to buy a new flywheel. As previously mentioned, thay aren't cheap. I'm thinking you gotta probably pull the flywheel off anyway (if you were going to change it out) so what harm would occur in an attempt at a repair. I *like* to fix stuff like this - what I hate is PLASTIC components that can't be fixed. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

wrote: (clip) I *like* to fix stuff like this - what I hate PLASTIC components that can't be fixed. ^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree completely. I think we have a meeting of the minds, and neither of us resorted to calling the other names. :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yeah.... ain't *that* nice Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:18:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

And some folk would ask in the first place then never acknowledge the helpful replies........................

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:07:48 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

and the source is....?