Ford 9N ignition question.

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:16:11 AM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I wonder in that case if you were seeing an accepted use, or a translation from Italian that happened to use an old technical word from English?
For example, I once had to read an Italian engineering paper on the subject of electrical discharge machining. The first sentence of the paper described EDM as a "freaky appelation." d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:27:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"Points and condenser" disappeared with the electronic ignitions and fuel injection, THANK CROM! Most had gone away by '85, when I got out of the biz.

Are you gushing over guitars and bashing bonnets, boy?
--
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they

--Ronald Reagan
On 04/27/2017 6:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Any vehicle w/ a distributor/points system...auto parts lookup is still the common name (at least in US; don't know for certain what the Brits used).
Not sure when production in US finally would have ceased, trucks were exempt from some of the more onerous emissions reqm'ts for a while after automobiles so therein is probably where the last would have been.
Off-road equipment, of course, lasted for quite a lot longer.

....... In front of the radiator, full of refrigerant.

==============
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tuned_circuit_animation_3.gif
The green lines are energy stored as magnetic field in the coil, the black ones are energy stored as electric charge in the capacitor. The oscillating transfer of energy between them is similar to a swinging pendulum that swaps its energy between speed in the middle and height at the ends.
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:35:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Is it still running the original 6 volt electrical system, or has it been converted to 12 volts? If switched to 12 it is a voltage dropping resistor.
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 22:19:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Everything is original. But now I know why the ballast resistor is there and I am convinced that the poor spark is just from bad connections. I suspected the condenser but the points aren't making big sparks like they do when the condenser is bad. Eric
On 4/25/2017 11:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

If the "condenser" were open, you'd get big sparks. But if the condenser is bad shorted, or nearly so, you'd get a weak spark at the plug and no spark at the points.
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:35:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

Last night I cleaned some of the connections in the ignition circuit. I started the tractor using the "hot wired" connection first just to make sure the tractor would start. I let it run for less than 10 seconds and shut it off. After removing the hot wire that went directly from the battery to the coil I tried starting the tractor the normal way and it lit right up. It looks like plain old corrosiion problems because the tractor sat for so long without being started. The original wiring harness has been repaired a wire at a time by previous owners and is kind of a kluge. Even though it all works the ammeter has always been bypassed. I don't even know if it works. So I'm gonna order today a new wiring harness and ammeter because the ammeter looks like it has corroded inside. It's amazing how much stuff is still available brand new for the old Ford 9N, 2N, and 8N tractors. The only part I haven't been able to find new is the tube which carries the spark plug wires. I wonder why since everything else seems to be available. Even new engines. About 18 years ago the hydraulic piston assembly under the seat on this tractor needed to be replaced. I ordered one from a catalog and was surprised at first that it was made in Taiwan. Thinking about it made me realize that it made perfec sense as these tractors and the nearly identical Ferguson tractors were sold world wide. Eric
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:35:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Round or square coil? Square coil used a resistor, round coils did not. Measure primary resistance of the coil.