Ford F250 Starter problem

The custom-length Honda bolts were individually bagged and shipped from somewhere, not loose in a bin. That local store has the best prices around for most hardware.

However a simple plastic panel retaining clip from Honda cost me $4. It retains a removeable cubbyhole cover and is unlike standard door panel clips. I shouldn't have pried the original one out in subfreezing weather. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

In the US....I use the 13 far far more than the 12. In my tools. 12mm is one of the least used sizes.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!p13no15950234qai.0!news-out.google.com!k2ni27710qap.0!nntp.google.com!npeer02.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news-in-01.newsfeed.easynews.com!easynews!core-easynews-01!easynews.com!en-nntp-11.dc1.easynews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

will be unable to process your complaint properly.

Reply to
Gunner

AH!! Excellent!!

  1. Lie
Gunner

Yup - but you are not working on Japanese vehicles

Ansi/ISO, DIN, and JIS all specify a 10mm head on a 6mm bolt, ANSI/ISO and DIN use 13mm heads on 8mm, but JIS uses 10mm. In 19mm bolts, it really gets copmplex - ANSI/ISO uses 16, DIN uses

17, and JIS ises 14. for 12mm it is 18 for ANSI/ISO, 19 for DIN, and 17 for JIS. 14mm bolts? 21, 22, and 19 respectively.

I find the JIS system is best, because the head sizes don't get stupid big and obstructive - and they are closer in size ratio to the standard SAE sizes.

On a jap car, working without a 12mm wrench would be like working with boxing gloves on, blindfolded.

SOME european brands are using JIS -I guess because they are closely aligned with a Japanese company - like Nissan is with Renault - and Rover was with Honda

Reply to
clare

They probably had 4 million SAE bolts that needed a home and this was a good place to put it.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Japanese made, often enough. And machine tools as well.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Working off inventory or something.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Given they buy Billions of fasteners..and have/had contracts with the makers....what else makes sense?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I can guess, but I'm not going to speculate on this one. A lot of things that go on in the car manufacturing supply chain are pretty strange.

But maybe I'll find out later in the year.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Some 25 million 3800-series were produced--hardly think as small an item as a few random fasteners would have lead to designing around them rather than designing the assembly first.

Not to mention the concept of JIT supply chain... :)

I'm sure there was a reason, but it's undoubtedly more convolved in its origins than the above as to why.

What I didn't realize until just now is that the 3800 has been discontinued from production since '08 (which shows how long it's been since looked at anything newer w/ any thoroughness). I knew the Enclave has a different engine, but figured that wasn't surprising since it's not a sedan/coupe had assumed the LaCrosse, etc., were still using it or a later revision--but obviously not.

Reply to
dpb

Are you speaking about the old Buick 90-deg. V6? That sucker had a long run. It came out in '61 or '62, as a light-truck engine.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On 2/18/2013 9:30 AM, Ed Huntress wrote: ...

That was the precursor to the 3800, yes...but the 3800 LN3 revision didn't come until the late 80s sometime--'87,'88,'89 around there, not sure of precise year w/o looking it up.

Reply to
dpb

No, they finally put the old horse out to pasture. Not sure any of the current engines will survive the market as long - the 3.4 sure didn't. For good reason.

Reply to
clare

Let us all know. The info will be amusing and interesting.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Hard to imagine w/ the ever-increasing mandates that there's much possibility regardless of whether it's solid design or not--but surely the 3800 was a reliable workhorse much like the old 283 was in its day...

Reply to
dpb

The 3.4 was a "time bomb"

Reply to
clare

I'm curious about what you're referring to here. Are you talking about the old Fireball V6 (90 deg. V6 that started out as 3.2 l, was punched out to 3.4 l, and then sold to Jeep)?

What made it a time bomb?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Nope. Talking about the 3.4 that replaced the 3.8 for a few years in things like Pontiac Montanas and Monte Carlos. OHC engine - piece of crap that the question was not IF it was going to fail, but when.

Talking the 91 - 97 LQ1 (X code) in particular, but the 96-2005 LA1 (E code) was not great either. The LQ1 is quite possibly the worst north American produced engine in the last 50 years.

Reply to
clare

Aha. I never followed those, being distracted with car problems of my own at the time.

Reply to
Ed Huntress