Free Metalworking Plans

Found this site with free lathe and metalworking plans

greggspen

Seems like some of the files are damaged and cannot be read.

Reply to
Hunter

I Dl'd the lathe plans, opened fine for me

Reply to
Rex

For some reason the only ones that I can read are the furnace and the sandblaster plans.

Acrobat would always send an error message for the other ones that the "file is damaged and can't be repaired".

Reply to
Hunter

What version of Acrobat are you running? IIRC current version is

7 something.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

I've not had a problem viewing them, sometimes the scans are a bit poor

Reply to
greggspen

When did you last update Adobe Reader? I've opened all of them now with no problems.

Reply to
greggspen

I have Acrobat Reader version 7.0.9. I'll try it again next time I do a computer maintenance with McAfee.

Reply to
Hunter

Forget Adobe. Download Foxit Reader. Loads instantly, reads them all, and has features you don't get with Acrobat Reader. Best of all it doesn't call home to Daddy every time you run it. Oh, and it it's free

Reply to
Rex

Works fine at my end.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Now, this is odd. I use Foxit, and it failed to open the micro lathe plans. So now I'm downloading Adobe Reader version 8.something. We'll see if that helps.

S.

Reply to
Sevenhundred Elves

The only set of plans that I have trouble opening is the micro lathe plans.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I guess it's the file that's corrupt then. I have to guess, because the installation program for Adobe Reader crashed when I tried to run it. Come to think of it, that's probably why I was using Foxit in the first place.

I suppose I should get a Pentium III, just for the thrill of being able to run bloatware. Adobe Reader is now 20 MB in size, or so it seems from their 'System Requirements' page. Foxit uses less than 4 MB. I can't even begin to guess what Adobe puts in those extra 16 MB.

S.

Reply to
Sevenhundred Elves

Looks about right. That's the size of Acroreader7 binary on my FreeBSD machine.

xpdf in Linux... at 1 MB in size, opens it fine.

Steve Ackman

Looking at the junk in reader version 7.x - 112 MB on the disk and who and who knows what is elsewhere like in windows...

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I didn't try them all, but every one I tried opened fine in Acrobat 5. (Note, that's Acrobat 5, not Acrobat Reader.)

Reply to
lemel_man

I want the pdf for the micro lathe, but each time I try to DL it, I only get an incomplete file. It appears that you host it on your account at googlepages, because the URL for it at freehomemadeworkshop.blogspot.com points to this file:

So if it's not too much trouble, could you please upload the file to your server again? Perhaps that will fix the problem.

Gratefully, yours

S.

Reply to
Sevenhundred Elves

The file should be 2,179,534 bytes in size. I went after it with Wget (from the aforementioned link) and it took 7 attempts/retries to get the whole thing. Most likely whatever you are trying to download it with is giving up too soon. For whatever reason the site closes the connection before the complete file is served. Use something like Wget or some other worthy download manager to retrieve it.

It is only a version 1.4 format file which should load just fine in AcroReader 5 or newer.

You can download the Windows binary for Wget from here:

It is a command line program and does require a bit of study/learning to use to its full potential...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thank you Leon!

wget worked like a charm. It did only one re-take, and now I finally have the micro-lathe plans! I'm not really going to build it, but I hope the plans will give me some ideas for improving my own, rather awkward mini-lathe.

I have heard of wget before, but never considered using it, because I thought flaky servers were a thing of the last millennium. Well, it's good to have it, and when I get the time I will study the advanced options a bit, too. Just because it's good to be familiar with all the potentials of ones tools. Thanks again!

S.

Reply to
Sevenhundred Elves

I was able in one attempt.

Do a right mouse button - RMB - on the file and do a save as. That might be a better way for you to do it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Martin H. Eastburn