Free Metalworking Plans

I'm so confuzzled.

Interesting; my interpretation of the history, having lived through it, is exactly opposite yours.

I'm fine with that POV. Pays my salary so (shrug) however you want to call it is fine by me.

Yup. Some people think that you can learn how to do marketing from webserver logs. I'm not one of those people but, if they wanna see where the hits are coming from, given the technical reasons why such a count is nearly meaningless, I'll give 'em advice, but give 'em the graphs they want.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That is strange. Just this week my daughter and wife were in a Best Buy and my wife said Lye-nux, and the computer sales guy rather snarkily asked/told her, "You mean Linnix?"

... so to clarify (noting your "confuzzled" comment which I've already snipped), my interpretation of the history, having lived through it, and still living through it, is that the majority of people used to say Lye-nux, while it seems that now the majority say Linnix.

As you say, it could be a regional thing, but I've covered a few regions in that time, and it seems to have held true for those regions. If you hear more Lye-nux than Linnix, then I guess the average intelligence must just be higher where you live. ;-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Linux and Linus are not rhymes. And how do you pronounce Linus?

When I listed to Linus pronounce Linux, it sounds like "lynn-ucks" That's a short I sound, not a long I - IMHO.

Maybe I'm wrong, but listen for yourself:

Maxwell Lol

How do you pronounce Linus? However you pronounce it in your language, that's how you should pronounce Linux. They rhyme... in whatever language you speak, or in whatever dialect you speak.

Yes, this is exactly the audio I referenced above which used to come with every Linux distribution. As you can hear, Linus says Linux to rhyme with Linus.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

According to Steve Ackman :

While what *I* remember from the .au files of Linus Torvalds which came with earlier versions of linux I would spell:

lee-nux

which does not match either of those which you used.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sure, that's pretty close, though I'd probably spell his pronounciation more like lee-noos and lee-nooks to avoid the potential of someone pronouncing a short u.

Because I never attempted to phonetically spell anything the way he says it. Linus was speaking English with a Swedish accent, which I'm not going to do.

I merely pointed out that in Swedish (and in his English with a Swedish accent) Linus pronounces Linux to rhyme with his name. Therefore in any other language that has the name Linus in it, it would probably be most correct to pronounce Linux to rhyme with Linus, however you say Linus in whatever language... though I suspect English is one of the few languages where this would even come up at all. positive

AR

Reply to
Steve Ackman

According to Steve Ackman :

O.K. That sounds right.

But when debating the proper way to pronounce it, it would seem that the attempt should be made to avoid confusing things even more.

I'm not sure that I would call it "rhyme" with those very different terminal sounds -- that may be where the others debate comes from.

Likely so. I wonder what it would be like in Chinese or Korean?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols