hydraulic info

Can someone recommendation a hydraulic pump for a arbor press I'm building. I have an electric motor 3hp 1750 rpm

a lion 2500 cylinder 4in bore 2in rod. I built a log splitter with a Barnes 2 stage 13.6 gpm 7hp gas engine that works great. Barnes does make a smaller pump, 11gpm, but they still recommend 5hp 3600 rpm. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups for hydraulic forums, info or FAQ. Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
bruce lazer

"bruce lazer yahoo.com>" Can someone recommendation a hydraulic pump for a arbor press I'm

and a lion 2500 cylinder 4in bore 2in rod. I built a log splitter with

You'll find the 13.6gpm pump works fine at 1750 with a 4" cylinder. Travel time will be OK, and you'll still be able to get up to about 1400-1500psi on the second stage.

Likely, you'll not need more than 1500*12.56 pounds (9.4 tons) of actual force for most pressing jobs.

I tell you this, because I built a press with the Northern Hydraulics parts you called out. Works fine.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Here are the tools to figure it out for yourself.

Search terms:

Basically you need to determine how much hp it requires achieve the desired pressure and what the rate of advance is of a given cylinder supplied by what ever GPM pump.

One thing to consider, rapid advance and high pressure can be achieved without a lot of horsepower but then you need a two stage pump with an unloader circuit. Probably more complicated than you need for an arbor press.

For sizing lines, figuring 5-10 feet per second fluid flow seems to work out fine. A gallon is 231 cubic inches.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

The 13.6gpm Barnes pump he called out is a two-stage unit with automatic unloader. It will give the desired travel time at no load, then switch to the small displacement circuit for high pressure.

I added an adjustable relief valve to mine to limit the top-end pressure.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks for the help. Its looks like if stay around 3gpm or less on the second stage it will be OK. I wasn't sure how the motor rpm figured into all this. I going to be direct drive.

Reply to
bruce lazer