FS: Milling attachment for 9" South Bend lathe

I photographed this tool and put the images on my web site for a friend who has absolutely no idea about anything computer related.

Except for the chipped paint, this tool is in mint condition.

Please take a look at

Abrasha

Jeez, I have one exactly like it. I had no idea what it was worth.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That page says, "The originally included V-blocks, double end wrench and T-bolts and nuts for installing the attachment to the lathe, are not included."

What T-bolts and nuts for installing? To install it, you remove your compound and drop the male circular dovetail into the hole in the cross-slide table that the compound just came out of, align it, and tighten it back up using the regular cross-slide set screws.

I see where back in 1934 they mounted these differently. I don't think modern (as in post-1945) SB lathes had these T-bolts or nuts, nor a double-end wrench. If anyone gives you any guff about not including the V-blocks tell them "well those can be your first milling project!"

I have a real hard time believing you'll get $425 .. the going rate for those is about $250, hate to rain on your parade.

I've got one of those I don't think has ever been used, absolutely dead mint. I'm saving it to sweeten the deal if I ever sell my lathe.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I photographed this tool and put the images on my web site for a friend who has absolutely no idea about anything computer related.

Except for the chipped paint, this tool is in mint condition.

Please take a look at

Abrasha

$425???? Wow

Reply to
Waynemak

Sweet. Your friend worked for Schlage?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The SB milling attachments have a feature to install one or two cap screws to stiffen up the mount. The idea is the owner is supposed to drill and tap the compound slide in two locations for these, and they pass through the semi-circular slot one sees on the base of the attachment. If one is at an angle only one of the cap screws can be used.

South Bend gave instructions on exactly where to drill for the holes - I did this on the 9" model A I used to own.

As a caveat, the small brass plug visible in the photo is

*highly* reminscent of the features seen on the 10Ls - specifically the brass plugs in the gearbox top handle, and in the belt tightening hand lever.

I would be double extra sure this isn't for a heavy ten (10L) before purchasing it for a 9" machine. The tipoff would be the diameter of the boss on the underside, compared with the mounting hole in the compound on the lathe.

The 425 might be a *bit* optimistic - but not by factors of two. Milling attachments command a pretty good premium, especially for smaller lathes. Nobody wants a milling attachment for a big lathe, 'cause folks who have big lathes also typically own - milling machines!

Jim

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

If you have a 9" SB to sell that's in decent condition, I don't think you will need to sweeten the deal very much! :-)

DOC

DOC

My friend assures me, that the milling attachment is for the 9" machine. He owns a heavy ten (which he is restoring to it's original glory right now), and cannot use this attachment. He restored another heavy 10 some time ago, which he sold. I think there are pictures of it somewhere online.

He urged me to take a couple of photographs with that ruler in them to show the width of the vise. He said owners of the 9" lathe would recognize it immediately as the proper width for their lathes.

Abrasha

Abrasha

No. He bought it at an auction when he was building his own shop at home. He bought it for the Bridgeport he was going to buy. But then he did not get a Bridgeport, but another mill onto which this tool will not fit.

Schlage used to have a large shop here in San Francisco. When they moved away, they sold off everything instead of moving it to their new location. My friend told me, that the Schlage worshops were a sight to behold.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Look again. It says, "or best offer."

Abrasha

Abrasha

If you happen to post the listing again anywhere, measure the diameter and height (depth) of the boss on the bottom, and include that in the listing. It will go a long way to reassuring a potential buyer that it's the "right" one. The style of the attachment is older than most folks will recognize.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Jim,

Thanks for that suggestion. I will mention it to him, before he (or I for him, because he really doesn't know anything about computers) posts it on eBay.

Reply to
Abrasha