Gingery furnace has been fired

I saw it all but the last two pages, they wouldn't load.

I was able to look at the pictures on the parent directory, however.

are some nice shots, there.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Tried it again on my own IE6.0.2800.1106 which now recognises the mime type (previously it was asking did I want to save or open it). The following message comes up:

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing resource '

'. Line

148, Position 2

%xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;

-^

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

How do I do that?

Compressed, flammable substances make me nervous. I'm a wuss.

Yeah, I know. Just having a little fun. I originally started the pages for some friends of mine to follow.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

That page,

states in it's first line that it is XHTML 1.0 Strict. I can read it with IE6. So IE does support some kind of XML. Now your page, which I read with Konqueror 3.0.3 states at the bottom in a little logo that it's XHTML 1.1 So it would appear ol' Bill is a revision behind. But not as far behind as you assumed.

Reply to
John Ings

Ah, no. See the W3C is being nice to IE and sending it an XHTML file but *saying* that it's a "text/html" instead of an "application/xhtml+xml". Which is what I'm doing too, now. Except that it makes my MathML break because you can't put XML into an HTML document. Because HTML wasn't designed for it. Which is why we have XHTML in the first place.

IE appears to be the only browser that is broken in this regard. Since MS is the biggest software company in the world, can this be anything but on purpose?

Right now I'm working on "content negotiation" to send the right MIME type to working browsers but let the broken ones do what they want if they can't handle current standards.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

Ron Thompson

The MIME type is OK, it works, the problem was the XML error message which is still there.

I ran the page through an XML validator at:

Which came up with the same message and a host more errors/warnings too. You can see the full results at

Duncan Munro

The MIME type is OK now, because I changed it to text/html. But that breaks the XML features.

I don't understand what that validator is doing or finding wrong. Here's what I've been using:

PhysicsGenius

So IE can read XHTML but doesn't realize it? Or is it just reading part and missing some nuances?

I'm still confused with respect to the manner in which it is broken. The first line of your page has '?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?' This is the fib you're fooling IE with?

So if I compare the IE presented version and the Konqueror version, will I see a difference?

Reply to
John Ings

Apologies, the tinyurl link doesn't seem to work correctly, just go to

and key in
for the address.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

XHTML is "better formed" HTML, with other features added on (like the ability to include XML, such as MathML). So on a simple page like mine, IE is probably fooled into thinking that it's just plain HTML (except for the MathML fragment I have in there, which it will at best just format incorrectly).

No, XHTML is an XML application created to look like HTML. The fib is the MIME type, which you won't see in the page source as it's an HTTP thing.

Probably not on my page, at least so far. Except for the MathML fragment.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

All right, after a lot of futzing with mod_rewrite, I think I might have this working. It's definitely working for "good" browsers (i.e. Mozilla). What I'm not sure of is what IE is seeing. It should be sending you text/html. Can someone using IE confirm that it works?

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

That URL was:

PhysicsGenius

Same message :-(

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing resource '

'. Line

148, Position 2

%xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;

-^

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

That explains alot......

Software people doing things the "right way" as opposed to "what works" is why our network at work is always dead on Mondays, after the "guru" have been muckin' with it over the weekend.

What is it that you were trying to do with your webpage that required something other than "what works"?? All I could see(using Mozilla, neither Netscape nor IE would work) was simply pictures and text?? I can write a perfectly acceptable webpage, using Netscape, that EVERYONE can read. Works just fine for pictures and text. My pages normally are written with link at he bottom to the next so I can proceed in a normal fashion, rather than having to continually go back to the index.

BTW, with the exception of a few dark software labs, "the standard" browser for the ENTIRE world is IE, broken or not.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It does, however, work just fine with Amaya, which the World Wide Web Consortium provides free for the purpose of verifying and developing standards-compliant web content, so your pages are, as far as I can tell, compliant with the latest and greatest web standards. All _future_ browsers ought to be able to display them.

And I liked the content. Keep 'em coming.

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

I wasted enough time trying to view your website. Guess i have to go back to using my broken browser, but as broke as it is supposed be, there has never been another website that I have not been able to view, so IE 6.0 must be doing something right.

IMHO just because the W3 consrtium uses this or that does not make it a standard to which everyone else needs to meet, or that it will be accepted as the standard in things to come. Just loo9k at how many times they they have fooled with the standards for writing CD's and also audio tracks, and lots of that is still screwed u-p because some guru or manufactuer decides to jump on the bandwagon and get a head start. If you ever get it to work so that I do not have to jump through a lot of hoops and blow a lot of whistles, please post the URL again, hopefully with a "HTM(L) ending. I sure would rather have lots of folks to be able to view what I put out there rather than a few which odds are are not into machine or metalworking anyhow, but most likely software and programing. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I don't know what all the shouting is about - nice pictures - all of them - viewable without effort in Netscape v.7.1 running on unmodified, out of the box Linux (Slackware v.9.0).

Regards,

Marv

Duncan Munro wrote:

Reply to