Gingery furnace has been fired

Yawwwn! Mornin' all.

Page works fine now in IE. (Always did in Netscape 7.1, BTW)

Simple "width" and "height" values in the img tag would fix the placeholder "problem", but heck - who cares in a "scrapbook" page? This ain't no commercial site.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading all about the first melt (& pour).

Jeff (in Sydney, where I can pre-heat my moulds on the footpath - by sunlight. Phewww!)

Reply to
A.Gent

Actually, the Right Way to work on a network is to make absolutely sure you have a fallback plan so it's not dead on Monday. In my experience, and I've worked in IT departments, the reason the network is down on Monday is people thinking "this is going to be easy, we'll just blow it out there and BAM, we are done". Somewhat like pumping a bunch of text and picture links into an HTML file, checking it on a single browser (but not against a compliance validator) and calling it good.

What I was trying to do was:

a) Use new features, such as MathML b) Look to the future to keep upgrade needs (and non-compliance complaints, ironically) to a minimum

In order to qualify as the Right Way, a method must work. The reverse is not true.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

Ok, but when doing something that you intend(and hope) the general populous to be able to see and use you need to write it using some standard that the general populous is accustomed to using.

In the case of a webpage, the "standards", like it or not, and irregardless of any personal dislike for the founding company, is Internet Explorer and/or Netscape. If you expect people to be able to look at your product you need to write the page using something that is compatible with these, and not with just the latest versions, it has to backwards compatible for at least 3-5 years.

Tom

Reply to
Tom
[ ... ]

By your standards, Netscape 4.77 is also broken. (Though Amaya and Mozilla are not.)

Is there any reason why your *whole* tree of pages needs to be xhtml? I see nothing in the ones for the Gingery bit which need it, so why not make that subtree plain HTML?

Enjoy, DoN.

P.S. I tend not to "upgrade" browsers often -- because they tend to add "features" which I would rather not have (for security reasons) -- such as RealAudio and ShockWave Flash. (Now if the browsers would allow me to turn them off except when I *really* want them, as I can with Java and JavaScript, that would be a different thing -- but they tend to be plugins which once installed are *always* ready to do what they do.

So a web site which *forces* me to "upgrade" is likely to be given a miss.

You note that I am *not* supporting Microsoft's browser, which doesn't even *run* (thank goodness. :-) on any of my systems which are given access to the outside net.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hummm...works fine with my IE 6.02

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Mine too!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Which is exactly what I spent all of yesterday doing and will likely spend all of today doing as well. Point of order, though, IE6 is not

3-5 years old. It's more new than the standard which it is neglecting.
Reply to
PhysicsGenius

That's because I'm serving the pages up with MIME type text/html right now, contrary to the spec.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

I think you are swimming upstream. When you get tired enough you'll either quit or go with the flow. If you had written the page in a normal fashion, you'd be casting now.

I saw the beginnings of some Gingery patterns in your pictures. Have fun!

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Mozilla gives me this :

12/14/2003: Inside form 12/15/2003: Reinforced lid 12/16/2003: Disaster averted 12/17/2003: We're here, we're tuyere 12/18/2003: Eureka, I have found some 12/21/2003: Refractory mixed 12/22/2003: Cooking the lid 12/26/2003: Lid, Take II 12/29/2003: Refractory, going forward 12/30/2003: Ready the blast tube, Scotty 12/31/2003: OOG MAKE FIRE

all hyperlinked.

Mart> I know. I'm about ready to punch Bill Gates in the face. And people

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Damn. We have the opposite problem here in Alberta. It's been too cold to fire up the furnace. -25C. Fingers turn blue before you can put together a sand mold.

Reply to
w0lfkill3r