Good deal on X/Y table?

I have a Burke #4 with the old rack-drive table, missing parts. I want to do away with that and mount a modern hand-wheel X-Y table. Anyone know of a good value on a decent table?

Rex B Ft Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Is the table fundamentally different than the one used on the leadscrew equipped Burke 4's?

If it's the same or at least similar, you could probably come up with enough stuff out of a McMaster catalog to convert it over. Couple chunks of Acme rod and nuts to match, some handwheels,etc.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

What size?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Roughly 5x16 would be about right.

Reply to
Rex B

That is one of the things I'm considering, but as nearly as I can tell many of the major parts are not common to the leadscrew variant. The conversion parts are probably available used, but very pricey. This old thing is also missing other things, so a resto-upgrade doesn't look very cost-effective.

One of the things I'm considering is adapting a minimill table and base to the knee, and mount the minimill head at the overarm sockets. That looks doable and still retain the horizontal milling capability.

Call it "Burkenstein"

I was needing a base to mount the minimill anyway ;)

Reply to
Rex B

Enco, and probably every other machine tool dealer sells this one. I've never seen one in person so I don't know anything about the quality but the price looks decent:

Also, Little Machine Shop sells all of the replacement parts for the Sieg X2 (HF, Homier, Grizzly, etc.) minimill if the above is too large.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I did find that in the Enco catalog, and I have an X2 to look at. those are the two best candidates right now. A year or so ago, someone here posted a sale offer on one like the Enco above for $99 with free shipping. That's the one I need ;)

Reply to
Rex B