Good jobsite radios?

I would like to buy some jobsite radios that let us communicate in

200-300 yard range max, and that are decently made. Looking around, a lot of things seem to be overhyped and not durable/usable enough.

Would anyone recommend any specific make and model.

Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus24945

Just about any of the FRS/GMRS radios would work for that, or get some of the old (Sprint?) cell phones which had the built-in network function.

The durability factor is the wild card in today's manufacturing environment, though. Ruggedized versions of anything, when available, are priced 10-50x higher.

Do you also need work (trunking) radios for the trucks? I have three Kenwood 25w TK-715 VHF FM transceivers in their original boxes which need a good home. How about $50 each? They're NOS from my sister's ex.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've been out of it too long Iggy. Radios change way too fast nowadays...

This is dealer I just pulled up via the Chicago Yellow Pages:

You can get cheap new and used stuff but that can be hard starting from scratch. You might want to try renting some first and see if they do what you want. This place offers rentals per their website. You should probably get an FCC license too, FRS radios aren't supposed to be used commercially. If you deal with a two-way radio company they should be able to take care of the licensing, especially if you buy some radios from them :)

Once you get setup and find what you like or don't like... then you can search around for deals on more units with some confidence.

I'm thinking you will probably want some UHF Portables, at least 2 watt units, maybe 4 watt. Check replacement part prices: antennas, batteries, carrying cases. Who provides repair service and turn around time or are they just a throw away item...

I liked Motorola stuff, no surprise there. I full access to parts and manuals :)

Good luck!

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I would like to buy some jobsite radios that let us communicate in

200-300 yard range max, and that are decently made. Looking around, a lot of things seem to be overhyped and not durable/usable enough.

Would anyone recommend any specific make and model.

Thanks

*****************

A lot of construction sites I have worked on in the last decade prohibit jobsite radios. The claim (and its happened) is that the clamor of the radio may make it more difficult for somebody yelling for help to be heard.

If allowed... I'd say a cheap one. They are going to get knocked off, kicked, and broken.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I would like to buy some jobsite radios that let us communicate in

200-300 yard range max, and that are decently made. Looking around, a lot of things seem to be overhyped and not durable/usable enough.

Would anyone recommend any specific make and model.

Thanks

*****************

A lot of construction sites I have worked on in the last decade prohibit jobsite radios. The claim (and its happened) is that the clamor of the radio may make it more difficult for somebody yelling for help to be heard.

If allowed... I'd say a cheap one. They are going to get knocked off, kicked, and broken.

*****************

DOH!

I guess I should read the whole post. About a million years ago I used Motorola Trunk radios with a phone patch. It was great. All the guys had communication with each other and access to a phone line for business. Because everybody else important enough to have a radio could hear what they were talking about they tended not to abuse it. On the few occasions when a wife or girlfriend threw a public tantrum because their guy was working late II 'd but in and say, "Excuse me. This is a public channel. Everybody in the company can hear this." For that one in a million when they wouldn't take the hint I'd just send the disconnect command from my radio.

The last few years we just used our cell phones. My son and I dialed in many a network video system in real time on large sites with our cell phones on speaker in our shirt pocket.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My son and I used Voxer on our cells while hunting.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yes. My old boss designed and had produced an inexpensive line of radios for just such customers. (As I assume you already know, Motorboatarola is anything but affordable by us mortals....)

If you like, I'll put him in touch with you....

Reply to
David Lesher