grinder for shop

im asking everyone what they prefer for general grinding (not sharpening) either a wheel grinder or a belt grinder. i think id like a belt grinder, but for some reason there just arent as many out there.

Reply to
erik litchy

Wheel, belts rip too easily on rough work.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Assuming you meant a bench tool. Wheel grinder... two or three of them with different stones, brushes, and buffers. Except that for some types of wood working I prefer a bench sander for its larger flat surface as long as its got a big adjustable table to make precise angle sanding possible.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

im referring to a standard 78.75?x3" belt grinder, i imagine there are bench mounted ones, but not desirable to me, too mussy, id rather have it isolated from the work area.

Reply to
erik litchy

I have a Bader 2" x 72"(I think) belt grinder

it works great for all sorts of applications.get set up with a variety of grit belts and go to it. I was very surprised how fast you can remove metal with this machine, fit up and weld prep are just the start. once you get the hang of it you can grind to shape parts you might of cut before. I use mine almost daily made in the USA by a family owned company, nice people too.

Andrew

Reply to
EIsmith

A 1" x 30" belt sander is small enough to carry outdoors to keep the mess out of the shop.

Another option is a hand-held angle grinder, clamp the work and move the grinder. They throw sparks several meters in all directions and are better used outside, if the neighbors don't mind.

They are a bit too crude for sharpening wood chisels but fine for axes, lawnmower blades etc. Grind enough welds and you will be able to do surprisingly smooth, delicate work with them.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have two wheel grinders with 4 different wheels and a 4x36 belt sander with a 6" sander disk. Each has their place. In terms of frequency I would say I use the belt sander more often than the other two combined.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:59:15 -0500, the infamous erik litchy scrawled the following:

I don't even have a wheel grinder. Whatever I can't get done on the

1" belt sander I put on the 4" angle grinder.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Belt grinders are far more expensive than a wheel grinder.

However...I have 4 bench top belt grinders..up to 6x40" and only 3 bench wheel grinders..and the belt grinders get the majority of the work.

Including bit grinding

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I use belt grinders almost exclusively for sharpening stuff, that stuff that I grind to sharpen, that is. For other things like snagging welds there are always the angle grinders and mini-die grinders. A 1" Delta is what I use most, I also have a 4". The disc sander that's attached comes in handy once in awhile for smoothing up wood, doesn't get much play, though. For welding fit-ups, it's a combination of 4x6 bandsaw and belt grinders.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Mine has a grinding wheel, one side. Wire wheel the other side. I use it mostly for sharpening things, like cold chisels. The wire wheel for taking burrs off cut keys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon