Grinding wheel safety

No, speed not. Those few % won't make it.

It more sounds like a problem while mounting. He did not forget the cardboard washers? He didn't use force to get the wheel onto the spindle? No, I don't think of using a hammer. :-) Some kind of dirt/bump/whatever on the clamping area, the wheel?

At Siemens, where I learned, they let run every new wheel for at least one hour with some extra guard around it. Maybe that is a bit to much, but somehow they must have learned that procedure. Maybe 5 minutes next time? Anyhow, thanks for the reminder!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

An hour is ok with me...in a steel box!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just think, in a few months you will be getting a letter from another lawyer stating that his client is suffering post traumatic stress disorder...

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger was Special Forces in Nam, a spinning rock had better not get the best of him. Now, running out of coffee...that might put him over the edge.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And I might note, flywheels were the common problem before regulations came into design. They spinning on a shaft can explode.

I helped design a sensing computer system that 'listened' to the bearings on the big flywheels - those inside a generator of a power plant!

This one private plant would loose one spindle a year. They had three in the power house. They needed all three for full production of Cl but would just go to reduced flow.

We, the engineer in charge and myself a consultant, implemented this Analog to digital and alarm sensing. We had to do predictive sensing - e.g. just how bad is bad enough to halt production and take one off line. We found out. The plant manager called me a year later and told of the promotion and award to the engineer and wished me well. The company was pleased to say that 1. in the past year zero time and money was lost to a exploding or otherwise malfunctional Spindle. and 2. None were expected to explode as one was taken off line due to a rapid change of noise and likely saved the building and another started to make noise much like the first, but still had not go exponential in signal. Currently all three were functional and peaceful.

That felt good to hear, I was heading out on another job - electric power plants again - load regulation (shedding when needed) this time.

Martin

Mart> Lyndell Thomps>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Tom - who manufactured the wheel?

Hul

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
dr

I beleive earlier up this thread it was established that jet made the wheel. Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

According to Lyndell Thompson :

[ ... ]

Or -- at least Jet *branded* a wheel made by someone else. I know that Jet makes grinders -- I have one of those. But I would be willing to bet that they simply printed their own blotter paper labels for ones from some other maker -- and your chances of finding out who actually *made* them is pretty slim at this point.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, Lyndell - I missed it.

Hul

:> Hul :>

:> Tom Gardner wrote: :>> From now on we will stock clean underwear in various sizes. A life :>> changing :>> experience took place here yesterday involving a 10" grinding wheel on a :>> 3 :>> hp pedestal grinder. Roger put a new wheel on after "ringing" it. He :>> let :>> it run a minute or so and with no obvious vibration, he touched a piece :>> of :>> scrap angle iron to the wheel and felt a bit of bounce. While he was :>> locating the dresser, the wheel broke into three large pieces with a :>> gun-shot like noise. Roger had a look of seeing a ghost...his own! He :>> said :>> a few seconds either way, he would have been in range. This is the first :>> time I've ever seen a 10" wheel go. In the post-mortem, we find that the :>> grinder is mathematically 40 rpm over max, not sure of actual. So, we :>> got :>> the speed back in line and started to think how this type of thing could :>> be :>> avoided. Is there a better procedure? Isn't this whole situation out of :>> the box? 40 rpm? I can't believe it was a speed issue. :>

:>

: I beleive earlier up this thread it was established that jet made the wheel. : Lyndell : :

Reply to
Hul Tytus