Gunner: I'm back

Strider, My sentiments exactly. VA health benefits were earned.

Reply to
Garlicdude

Gunner, Agreed. The point was the one I keep driving home to my wife. Don't draw your weapon If you don't intend to use it. None of this "one step closer" stuff, pretty soon the perp has your gun and your toast.

Reply to
Garlicdude

That's the way our government works. If things are not the way you like, then you need to do something about it. Picking on someone down on their luck won't change this situation; it only makes you look like the bad guy.

Our government is heading in that direction, at least in regard to health care. Many hard working folks are finding it tough to make ends meet these days. Many companies are dropping health care altogether or charging workers premiums that take back a large portion of their wage. The cost of health care has been increasing exponentially for the past several years. Soon the only hope for most people in the U.S. will be a national health care program.

Your translation that people did not save, did not invest, did not find a well-paying job is rather simplistic. Are you saying that it is possible for *everyone* in our country to be able to do the things you have suggested? Somehow I believe you have been rather lucky in your lot in life and now choose to pick on the less fortunate. Did you ever consider that you could be one car accident away from a complete turn around of your good fortune? Then what would you say when all your savings and investments were used up paying for an unforeseen calamity? Should we, the people, then tell you it's your fault for not looking ahead and planning for that automobile accident. Sounds rather foolish doesn't it?

Reply to
Richard A. Faust

Why not let the poor guy alone? Would you want someone picking on you when you were quite ill? Where is your humanity?

Reply to
Richard A. Faust

Mr. May revels in being the bad guy. He's quite proud of himself for being so.

Something many of us who know the illustrious Mr. May from misc.survivalism have been hoping for. Unfortunately, he is well enough padded financially (pretty well padded physically, too ) that there probably isn't much than can hurt him in the wallet. Sue - proudly from Mr. May's killfile

Reply to
Sue

ROFLMAO!!! What humanity? Mr. May takes it as a point of pride that he hasn't any. Sue - proudly from Mr. May's killfile

Reply to
Sue

Actually I think that Gunner is pulling some major leg with his only $20,000 a year income.

If he has only half the machine shop he says he does, as a out source jobber he could be rolling in coin. All most all the machine shops in the portland area and making good money in the current environment of outsourcing and jobbing. I have several friends that I take care of their AS/400 systems for them and they are doing really well.

No I don't worry one bit about Gunner. I think he is just stringing you along.

The Independent of Clackamas County, Oregon

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood."

(Otto Von Bismarck, Speech, Sept. 30, 1862.)

Reply to
The Independent

Jim, I just love your rhetoric. It is absolutely right on.. Some people have there heads deeply embedded ... oh, never-mind..

PJ

Reply to
PJ

Bottom Line? He has absolutely NONE..

PJ

Reply to
PJ

So you are accusing him of hypocrisy? I'm not too wild about hypocrites. Let's see. I'm not good a Google searching, but I'm sure there are those here (misc.survivalism) who recall your post about how men need to start monitoring women's eating habits at certain ages. IIRC it was something like black women at 17, hispanic women at 23 and white women at 27. Nice talk from someone who looks like this:

Looks like someone who gave a damn should have monitored *your* eating habits at some point. Oh, wait. I doubt anyone gives a damn whether you die from a heart attack or not except those who stand to inherit. Hypocrite. Sue - proudly from Mr. May's killfile

Reply to
Sue

I say that if Tim were to someday drop dead in front of an MS reader, that reader should Gut, and butcher Tim's body up. Washing the meat and packing it on ice, to be shipped to LG, in Chicago. Larry can then set his BBQ grill up in his front yard and have a 'pig roast', he could then treat all of his 'african american' neighbors to some free BBQ.

n.

Reply to
North

You're alright, Gunner. You say what you believe. Can't ask for more than that.

Yes, although without an angiogram would that aortic buildup have been suspected? With a normal EKG, BP, low pulse and cholesterol, probably not.

Glad you caught the blockage in time, although that's cutting it pretty close.

It seems your Guardian Angel was on the ball. With that much blockage an arrest would likely have done you in. Apparently the aspirin and the nitroglycerin did the trick. And, your woman came through like a champ! Your good deeds were repaid.

You must be serving a higher purpose on the NGs after all. Something to think about.

BTW, I'd like to know what you find about from the VA. Many of us will be in a similar situation sooner than later.

Reply to
Strabo

Proof that prayer works! :o) I'm sure gald you survived.

I donno if you want some advice on how to quit smoking..... I smoked 1.5 packs for 13 years, quit cold turkey have stayed quit with zero cravings for about 10 and know several friends who also quit cold turkey who remain quit longer. For those who just hang on and think about how good a smoke would be the cravings just go on and on, even for the rest of their lives. But those who make up their mind they are going to quit and face down their cravings especially during the worst moments are completely over the mental addiction fairly quickly. It's really a fight for control of your mind, but reducing cravings to zero forever can be done.

No better time to quit than now!

Reply to
Perry Noid

Actually Tim, he's already paid for it. The VA was part of the monetary package back when he was paid about $60 a month.

Reply to
Strabo

Tim's heirs feed him WELL. ;-)

Strider

Reply to
Strider

That's a big 10-4.

Reply to
Strabo

You fair weather conservatives are to true conservative values what "Reagan Democrats" were to their formerly-avowed liberal values.

Between Kerry pushing for nationalized health care, and Bush trying to coddle the fair weather conservatives like yourselves, we are likely doomed to have more and bigger government, just as Gunner himself used to warn about. Hilarious. But depressing.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

I live pretty close to Mr. May. I don't know if he's important enough to have his obit in the SF Chronicle, but I keep reading and I keep hoping. If I ever read anything there believe me I will post the good news in bold type. Hmmm. Maybe I'll subscribe to the Santa Cruz Sentinal. Sue

Reply to
Sue

You mean the Veteran's Administration is responsible for the $400,000 bill he says his wife (or what he sometimes calls his "ex-wife") ran up?

Even for the case of Gunner himself, being a veteran is not a ticket to lifetime medical care. I'm surprised anyone thinks it is.

VA hospitals are generally for service-related conditions. Here's one online summary of the requirements for care:

" Compensation for service-connected disabilities is payable to veterans who have suffered an injury or illness which occurred or was made worse during military service. A claim for compensation may be established by evidence showing that an injury or illness arose or became worse during service and that the veteran currently suffers from that difficulty.

" The amount of compensation paid depends on how severe the medical problem is. Severity can vary from 10 percent to 100 percent disability. Benefits range up to a certain amount each month, with additional payments for certain severe disabilities. The rate of compensation may change as the severity of injury or illness changes. Also, permanently and totally disabled veterans without income may qualify for a non-service connected disability pension if they served at least 90 days on active duty with one day during a period of war. "

I know of one Vietnam-era vet who had his heart bypass done at a VA hospital and who has been receiving $1000 a month for the past two years, but only because his heart attack was ruled a service-related disability. (I don't know any more details. This guy is the friend of a guy who does some tree trimming at my place. He says his disabled friend uses the money to buy booze and such and that he just lives in his van and hopes the money will continue to flow...supposedly his condition is subject to review and will likely eventually stop.)

And, being from a military family, my father was only covered if he got care via a military hospital, and this as part of his full retirement benefits. (Note: Being in the service for 20 years gets a person more benefits than for a 3-year hitch, which only gets service-related treatment, as noted above.) For example, he travelled to military facilities specfically for this reason, and even retired to San Diego to be near a naval hospital. Care at other hospitals was not covered (emergencies may be covered, but not surgeries past the stabilization period only).

If the VA is going to pay, why is Gunner talking about "county and state" aid?

And his wife's $400,000 bill is not covered by the VA in any case. I recall posts from Gunner a few years ago about his ex-wife's (er, wife's) drug abuse, bad habits, etc. It seems likely these bad habits were the cause of her terrible medical condition not long after. So why are my taxes going up and up and up to pay for the bad lifestyle choices of others? Seems to me to be just the sort of thing Gunner used to rail about.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

Except it's just no so. VA treatment is for service-related injuries or conditions only.

Those who want a more comprehensive deal need to stay in the service until the benefits kick in. Just like with all sorts of other pension plans.

Being in the service for 3 years is not a ticket for free health care for the rest of your life.

Nor should it be, for obvious reasons.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May