Gunners Home shop

Almost as quickly and the Lee family departed the estate they loved and called home, the Union Army moved across the Potomac and began using the rolling hills around Arlington House. By 1862 the Lee family owed $92.07 in taxes on their former estate. To settle the tax matter, either General Robert E. Lee, or his wife...the great-granddaughter of George Washington, would have leave their Southern sanctuary to pay the debt in person. It was an unwinnable situation. Under the "Act for the Collection of Direct Taxes in the Insurrectionary Districts within the United States", the federal government in Washington, D.C. confiscated the land once part of George Washington's own family.

Under Brigadier General Irvin McDowell, the 1,100-acre plot became a buffer zone on the border between the Capitol City and the "Insurrectionists". It was the ideal location for a hospital, and two military forts were erected to defend it (Fort Whipple which later became Fort Myer and Fort McPherson). On January 11, 1865 the federal government offered Arlington House and its land for sale at public auction. It was purchased by a tax commissioner "for government use, for war, military, charitable and educational purposes." It was the open door for the man who now commanded the garrison at Arlington House to vent his hatred for Robert E. Lee.

Brigadier General Montgomery Meigs jealousy for Robert E. Lee predated the beginning of the Civil War, and General Lee's defection to the Confederacy only fueled the fire. By the Spring of 1864 a Nation wearied by three years of Civil War, tragic battles at places like Shiloh, Antietam, Gettysburg, Chickamauga and others, waited desperately for an end to war. General Meigs was determined to insure that Robert E. Lee would never return to Arlington. On May 13, 1864 Union Private William Christman became the first American to be buried on the grounds at Arlington. Meigs excavated the once-beautiful rose garden to create a 10-foot-deep stone and masonry vault to inter the remains of 1,800 soldiers killed in 1862 Battle of Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia. By the time the Civil War ended, more than 16,000 Union soldiers were interred on the grounds of Robert and Mary Anna Lee's estate. General Meigs vendetta proved a success, Robert E. Lee never returned to claim the now uninhabitable estate for his son, George Washington Custis Lee. In 1870 Robert E. Lee died and was buried in the chapel of Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. In 1892 General Meigs died in Washington, D.C. He was buried nearby in what was now a National Cemetery...only 100 yards from Arlington House.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Earlier, Iggy posted you can't cheat an honest man. This ties into the importance of personal honor.

We all hope to deal with honorable men and women.

Wes

Wes

That hole is still being dug.

Reply to
Strabo

Thanks for that bit of history.

I'm having trouble putting words to this. The hatred of Meigs, and how a man like Lee would not want to reclaim what is now a cemetary to his reluctant foes. Lee was and remains a gentleman of the first order.

I pray our nation never comes to this again.

Wes

Wes

Dayam, Gunny!!! I sure hope you win the lottery soon so you can quit working and start fixing up your stuff.

Looks like about another lifetime's work.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I see you know absolutely nothing about metalworking.

Reply to
Buerste

You missed the OmniTurn control sitting on the bench top? The rest of the lathe is in the back of the shop...hum...I guess I did miss photoing that corner.

Ill work on that.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Buy me some lotto tickets and Ill scratch em religiously.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Only slightly. But I was wearing my combination Kevlar Bomb Suit and machining coverals so the damage to my carcass was minor.

Thanks for asking!

And see..its part of my job to take that huge load of guilt from many of the readers here about their "messy shops" and make them appreciate their neat little corners away from the world.

Its my gift to all the anal types out there.

Jervelcome!

Gunner "Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone. I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout" Unknown Usnet Poster

Gunner Asch

You are correct.

All I have is a Milwaukee drill, a hacksaw, an old B&D grinder, and a small acetylene rig.

That's why I read this ng, ya'll write about stuff I'll never get to play with.

Also, I hope I win the lottery soon. Then I can quit working and start buying stuff to make blue chips with!

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Where was your 'Acme® Anti-anvil umbrella'? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I see shops of anal persons, and I just cringe. As long as I can find it, just don't mess with any of my "stuff". It's just when I can't find it that I really start getting pissed, particularly if someone else has been in there. I get mad enough when I misplace things.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, Gunner has a bunch of stuff that I would love to have. I question a new coat of paint on a piece of equipment. I also question obvious abuse. I have bought stuff from Gunner with great results. I doubt he has a machine on-line that is less than spec. Now the "back 40" is another story.

Reply to
Buerste

While chanting a mantra?

Reply to
Buerste

Amen! I wish that I had more of that room more than I wish for any of the tools there. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I could have shaved a solid year of my last airplane build - if I could just find the think that I just had in my hand...

Reply to
cavelamb

Well..I have been making a living doing machine tool repair for...12 or so years so far..so making them work is something Im good at.

Paint..shrug..paint a machine, use the shit out of it..and in a couple years it looks like shit again. So I dont care if its pretty or not. I do care that it does what its supposed to do. And there are only two machines in my shop that dont work that way. Larios 40 Taper horizontal mill and Hales 5C horiz/vertical mill.

Both are in my pending Things to Fix section.

Now the smart folks may have noticed the Gorton MasterMill, the Hardinge HLV-H, the Hardinge TFB and a few other interesting machine tools. No South Bend, Hobby lathes, 6" Logans and other machinery that really arent "precision" machinery. Same with the 3/4hp Rockwell..and the 2 small Walker Turner drill presses and the 35,000 RPM microdrill.

On one of the racks in the back yard..if you look..up on top..you will see a matched pair of Microdrills on a single base. All 4 of my microdrills are 1/4" max spindles..and they go really really fast with tiny weeny drills That matched pair is up there because I needed the space for something more important. That Lincoln 300 tig machine directly below it. Its my spare. If my Airco 300Squarewave Tig goes on the fritz..Ive got another 300 amp TIG to use. Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And kissing a frog!

Gunner Asch

In its proper place in the shoulder holster of course!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ayup. Ive got guys that come over and use stuff..then put it "away" and I get pissed off when it takes me 3 months to find it again.

Gunner

Gunner Asch