Gunners Home shop

In , on Tue, 1 Dec 2009

15:39:35 -0800, John R. Carroll, snipped-for-privacy@bidness.dev.nul copy'n'pasted:

So nice of you to have engaged in copyright violation and plagiarism. For those thanking you for the history, it actually came from

So much for honor.

Reply to
John R. Carol

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:28:40 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

If there is a place for it, I want it put back there. That is my rant at workplaces: just because you don't have time to put it away, doesn't mean I have time to look for it!

Although, it sounds like in your shop, the right place is where you found it. the first time. Or where you were using it last.

pyotr filipivich

"Steve B" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Anal is one thing, and it's sometimes ridiculous. My shop is "cluttered", mostly for lack of space, and I have a "disorganized organization system" for where things should/will be. But it's not a physical safety hazard to work in.

Gunner may like his layout. I find it distracting to have to physically climb over one machine tool to work on another. Even more so to have to move 300-400lb of randomly-stacked tools and materials just to get to the one wrench I laid underneath it all a month ago.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Actually....everything does have its "place" in my shop. The drawers are marked as to contents..lathe tooling, milling cutters, dovetail cutters, keyway cutters, collets etc etc. The drawer stacks under the 2 heat treating furnaces are where most of the cutters/tooling/reamers/measuring/ yada yada live. Crom but I love the old IBM punch card cabinets for this sort of thing! The white cabinet on the end of that stack..has deeper drawers, one with racks for milling cutters, one with various rotary abrasives, one with rotory table, milling fixtures etc etc. Hell..Ill snap some photos of the drawer contents maybe tonight.

Ive got LOTs of Stuff. Some of it really really good..some of it crap but usable..which I try to upgrade if I find I need it more than once. or twice a year. On the Gorton at the moment is my (repaired) Troyke rotory table. Buddy came over last weekend and made a set of wheel adapters for putting Porsch wheels on a Chevy Luv, out of 5/8 plate. We really really could have used that Clausing 1501 lathe..turning 10" diameter rings from plate...shrug..but got it done on the MasterMill, thought it took a bit.

I REALLY need to find out what is the proper vari drive belt that is supposed to go on the Clausing. Factory wants $108 plus shipping for a standard $35 belt...cringe. The belt that came off of it...Really came off it it..busted open and missing some bits..so while I have an idea..dont know for sure what its diameter is.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Says the man who still has my 9" Milwaukee angle grinder

So much for honor indeed.........

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I dont like my layout..but I dont have to crawl over one machine to work on another..not yet anyways.

Ill take pictures again when I finally finish clearing/cleaning/organizing.

My problem is..is that for the past 12 yrs..I was working away from home 5-14 days at a time, often home for 1-2 days, and then back on the road again..and so forth. The reason its a mess..is that this year..I was for much of it...unable to go out and move Stuff around due to the triple bypass and stroke. Frankly..it hurt a LOT to try to move heavy shit and lift and carry. It has been a growing and healing year. And one where I found limitations that I never had before. And of course..my son and his family moved in twice...so the back bedroom, where I used to store electronic Stuff got emptied out and all that crap put in the shop as well. Hence the pile of boxes in front of my grinder bench..still going through that stack. It used to be much bigger. Sigh. Excuses excuses..yah..I know. Shrug. But Im getting a grip on it. I brought the Lancer lathe home last week and laid all the bits and pieces on the two welding benches...so now I cant even weld anything out there.

Sigh...snivel..whimper...chuckle

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"cavelamb" wrote

I lose stuff standing still.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

So, what's the downside about that? I know right where it is. Although, occasionally, I will make a pass and put the hand tools back in the roller Craftsman cabinet, and "put up" stuff in its place. I'm a trader. If I am looking for something with something else in my hand, I will put down item A when I find item B, then go back and search for item A, having been in an altered state of consciousness of ecstacy when I located item B.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ya work with what ya got, Lloyd.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

C'mon, Gunner. A while back, I commented that my chest still hurt 7.5 years after my bypass/valve job. You said yours didn't after two years. So, it still hurts, just not as much? And even when it's real bad, it's nothing like that first month, is it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Buerste" wrote in

Have you ever been to a guy's shop who had every little machine known to man, but he couldn't cut a square piece of wood? Craftsmen know how to get the results, no matter what the means. Look at stuff they built 500 years ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Its been less than a year since the by pass. Jan 24 of this year. Coming up on a year next month. 11 months almost.

I had the stroke in March of this year.

Im leaving in a few minutes to drive over to a buddies shop in Bakersfield and keep loading machinery into 40' trailers so they can go to his new shop up in Idaho. This morning Ill be loading 4 Bridgports and 5 Hardinge lathes. Fork lift to get them into the trailers...mice to push them to the end..prybars to get them free of the mice.

Shrug. Of course it hurts a bit sometimes. But pain is just weakness leaving the body. Shrug again.

The day after I got out of the hospital after the bypass..I was in Costa Mesa repairing an OmniTurn Cnc lathe. I had to use a ladder to get up to the control..as I still had 172 staples in me...and climbing up hurt a bit. I was more worried about pulling out staples than the pain.

After my first back surgery..I was waiting in the doctors office for him to come in and remove the staples. He came in, we chatted for a few minutes..then he spotted the helmet and leathers on the chair....Id come over on my motorcycle..42 miles each way.

He went ballistic. Shrug.

But the wife had to take the kid somewhere that day in the car..so I rode the scooter.

Hell..Ive been shot, stabbed, bayoneted, bucked off, stomped on, beat up, knocked down, thumped, stomped, blown up and gone down more than a few times.

So pain isnt a stranger to me. Waking up some mornings ...shrug...been more than a few times I had to roll out of bed, and use the wall to stand up. But in a few minutes..Im up and ready to hit the new day..and praying it doesnt hit back

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"Stu Fields" wrote

My surgery was 8.5 hours, and was done by the top cardio guy in Vegas. They actually removed my heart. I have lots of numb places, from my chest to legs. If they parted your sternum, and you don't have any residual pain, you got lucky. Maybe I get it because I go out and try to lift stuff like I did when I was twenty.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Yeah, some days are better than others. Many times, I have to use that roll technique they teach you in the hospital just to get out of bed. Less than two weeks after my surgery, I was walking around at 9500' elev. in Utah, looking for arrowheads. Three weeks before, I'd walk from the car to the store, stop at the baskets and get my breath, get a basket, stop in produce, make it to meats, pause, make it to deli, pause, and so on and so on. We do pretty good for essentially being run over by a truck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Indeed Gummer. I mistakenly cut the link. I've a saved collection of such things that are appended with my own comments - which I also cut.

This, on the other hand, is the original. Let me know if you see any similarity.

Lee deeply regretted the loss of his home at Arlington. During the early stages of the war, foreseeing the probable loss of his home and belongings, Lee wrote to his wife about Arlington:

"It is better to make up our minds to a general loss. They cannot take away the remembrance of the spot, and the memories of those that to us rendered it sacred. That will remain to us as long as life will last, and that we can preserve."

Lee continued to feel responsible for the estate and earnestly hoped that the slaves who were left behind would be educated and freed, according to the provisions of George Washington Parke Custis' will.

The property was confiscated by the federal government when property taxes levied against Arlington estate were not paid in person by Mrs. Lee. The property was offered for public sale Jan. 11, 1864, and was purchased by a tax commissioner for "government use, for war, military, charitable and educational purposes."

Arlington National Cemetery was established by Brig. Gen. Montgomery C. Meigs, who commanded the garrison at Arlington House, appropriated the grounds June 15, 1864, for use as a military cemetery. His intention was to render the house uninhabitable should the Lee family ever attempt to return. A stone and masonry burial vault in the rose garden, 20 feet wide and 10 feet deep, and containing the remains of 1,800 Bull Run casualties, was among the first monuments to Union dead erected under Meigs' orders. Meigs himself was later buried within 100 yards of Arlington House with his wife, father and son; the final statement to his original order.

The federal government dedicated a model community for freed slaves, Freedman's Village, near the current Memorial Amphitheater, on Dec. 4, 1863. More than 1,100 freed slaves were given land by the government, where they farmed and lived during and after the Civil War.

Neither Robert E. Lee, nor his wife, as title holder, ever attempted to publicly recover control of Arlington House. They were buried at Washington University (later renamed Washington and Lee University) where Lee had served as president. The couple never returned to the home George Washington Parke Custis had built and treasured. After Gen. Lee's death in 1870, George Washington Custis Lee brought an action for ejectment in the Circuit Court of Alexandria (today Arlington) County, Va. Custis Lee, as eldest son of Gen. and Mrs. Lee, claimed that the land had been illegally confiscated and that, according to his grandfather's will, he was the legal owner. In December 1882, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, returned the property to Custis Lee, stating that it had been confiscated without due process

On March 3, 1883, the Congress purchased the property from Lee for $150,000. It became a military reservation, and Freedman's Village, but not the graves, was removed.

John R. Carroll

Let the Record show that "Steve B" on or about Wed, 2 Dec 2009 07:19:11 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I recall the story of the guy, who went to pay the bills. But first he had to find his glasses, and that took him into the kitchen, where the dishes needed doing, and make a pot of coffee, and now he can't find the check book, and goes to look for them and finds something else, .... around and around and around ... at the end of the day, he's tired, and he still hasn't gotten the bills paid and in the mail!

It is one thing when it is my tools, in my shop, where I left them, in the middle of my project. I can return and pick up where I left off. But add other people, and that is when the organizing, and the outlines on the pegboard, and other clutter control elements come in into play. Part of it is the difference between working hard, and working smart. "Well begun is half done." and other wise sayings. I'd rather work smart, than hard. Although, sometimes, the results are similar. I'm still fastest at "running tubes" at AMT, because I optimized for production. And minimum amount of "work" on my part. Finished 12 scheduled hours in 6. What can I say, the thought of having to spend the whole shift doing the damn things annoyed me. "Might as well, you're not getting out of it."

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 06:26:59 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Years ago, I would visit The Other School, down in Switzerland. Because of the polyglot nature of the students, the kitchen cabinets had black and white photographs on the doors, showing what was inside (and how it was suppose to look when everything was done.). I have been tempted more than once, to do similar.

There is clutter, and there is chaos. I don't like clutter, but I hate chaos.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 06:36:41 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

And then the earthquake hit, the dam broke, the volcano erupted, there was a plague of flies, locust and frogs (twice on the frogs),, two hurricanes, followed by three weeks of a driving blizzard right around the Fourth of July weekend, the dog had kittens, a visit from the undead, Elvis got the Mothership stuck in the temporal vortex (again) and needed a tow, and then a complete rebuild of the flux captivators (do you know how difficult it is to get parts for a 2012 Stratocrusier, the one with the fluid hyperdrive?). Not to mention surrealists broke in, stole everything, and replaced it all with exact duplicates!

"You tell kids that today, and do they believe you?"

Gotta go, Who called, wants to take Anybody to the ball game, asked if I'd keep an eye out for Somebody.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

But when SWMBO's are included in the equation, trying to clean up or tidy up, all bets are off!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I assumed it was from another source. John is generally good about citing, shit happens.

Wes

Wes