Hard time obtaining a Solidworks Trial Demo CD

John,

Producing drawings is pretty easy with Alibre, although the drawing component lacks some of the features that hard-core CAD folks crave. It will do cross-sections, details, and broken and partial views as well as create drawings of assemblies, with or without exploding them, and will create a BOM. The drawing failings are related to more advanced options and that hasn't been a major problem for me. Alibre Expert comes with motion simulation, but it's a new feature and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Alibre Express is free but feature limited so you could download that to get a feel for the program as time allows or go for the 30-day trial if you need to evaluate more advanced features or complex assemblies and can afford to spend some dedicated time with it over the short term. I spent less than 40 hours with the trial before handing over a CC number and had virtually no prior CAD experience, despite half-hearted attempts to learn DesignCAD and IntelliCAD. If you d/l the trial, expect a phone call or two with incentives offered. I didn't find that objectionalbe, but some might.

There's also a very good Alibre forum and the folks there are not shy about making their opinions known. The manual should also be available from their downloads area.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

You could download a demo here:

and try it out for as long as you like. If you like it, you buy a legitimate copy, and get rid of the downloaded copy.

Please note, these files are bittorrents. You need to know how to deal with these. A great bittorrent client is Azureus.

Reply to
Abrasha

You may also want to check out Rhino3d

which has quickly become an industry standard.

"Rhino can create, edit, analyze, document, render, animate, and translate NURBS curves, surfaces, and solids with no limits on complexity, degree, or size. Rhino also supports polygon meshes and point clouds." See the above URL for more.

You can download a demo right from the site at

Here is a fine example:

Abrasha

You did say you want Solidworks, but I'd suggest you have a look at Alibre Designer unless initial cost and recurring costs are not issues for you. No sarcasm intended, SW cost should not be an issue for those who spend 2K hours a year designing stuff.

Solidworks is cool, but it is pricey. Alibre does everything I want to do (on my own nickel), in a manner quite similar to Solidworks if perhaps lacking some of the bells and whistles.

Don't go by their free downloads, they suck. Alibre offers a 30-day moneyback deal where you only pay shipping if you opt out. The real deal works a lot better than the free download.

Their manual sucks and included tutorials aren't much better, but their (extra cost) tutorial CD's are very good.

Parametric modelling (Solidworks and/or Alibre) is quite a paradigm shift from AutoCAD, so be prepared for that.

I've used AutoCAD for over a decade. It took me a bit of effort to learn how to think in terms of parametric modelling, but I'll now say that I really like Alibre. I did do a seminar with Solidworks. Would I like Solidworks better than Alibre? Perhaps, if someone else was paying for it, but the price was well beyond my reach.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think I'm missing some messages in this thread, but some versions of Alibre have animation capability. Alibre Design has limited animation Alibre Professional and Alibre Expert have more.

Their Pro-Render add-on (included in the higher versions) is primitive compared to some others, but it definitely can produce very presentable material and it's dirt-simple to use.

Talk to Mike Dalyrimple at Alibre. He's an unabashed salesman, but(and) he does know their products.

Reply to
Don Foreman

this might be a silly question, but did a year old topic just get resurrected?

Reply to
Brent

Most likely, Abrasha (OP) just clocked in and was "catching up"...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Old questions sometime get new answers as progress lurches on.

Reply to
Don Foreman