Hardince HC Chucker -- someone needs help

Why? -- The internal wiring of the drum switch is as follows:

LINE MOTOR o----------+-----------o (L1) L1) o--------o--------> | o-------+ | | /|\ o-------+- | ----------o (L2) L2) o--------o--------> | o----------+

o--------+ L3 o--------o--------> | o--------+-------------o (L3)

And all you need to do is connect the one which I have marked (L1-LINE) to the common on the VFD, and (L1-motor) to FWD, and (L2-motor) to REV. Totally ignore all the rest of the terminals on the switch. If you can't figure out which is which, use a multimeter to find a terminal on the switch which is connected to another terminal only in the FWD position and to a third terminal in the REV position.

If you want an "ABSOLUTELY OFF" position, hook L3-Line to one side of the line, and L3-motor to one of the line power inputs of the VFD, but I personally would not do that for two reasons:

1) I don't like mixing line power voltages and control voltages in close proximity. 2) I don't like dropping line power from the VFD's input when switching to "OFF", which will deprive you of the controlled ramp-down in speed.

If you want to be fancy, you can add a limit switch where it is hit by the arm of the back gear selector, connect that switch (SPDT) common to the common on the VFD, and connect the two other terminals (NC and NO) to the L1-LINE and L2-LINE terminals of the drum switch, so your switch will always use "FWD" for forward and "REV" for reverse, whether you have the back gear enabled or not.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I looked at that. What I found difficult was not the schematic, but that there are barely enough wire length coming out of the motor, to reach the drum terminals. I think not even enough to make wire nut connections. Schematic wise, you are 100% on target.

I also find the placement of the drum switch, to be not perfectly convenient, at least for me.

So the only time when I reach for and switch it, is when changing from direct to back gear.

Ignoramus12247

[ ... ]

Hmm ... have you opened the wiring box on the motor? mine has a set of nine wires which can either be configured as a 240 VAC three phase motor, or a 480 VAC three phase motor. Get some appropriate wire or oil-tite flexible conduit, and run it directly from the motor to the VFD -- wherever you mount that. (And I would tend to mount it on the back of the column -- best position to keep chips from falling on it and working their way in to short the circuitry on the VFD.) then just run the control wiring to the drum switch, and bolt a small housing for a speed control pot on the bottom of the drum switch or somewhere nearby. Obviously, plug the remaining conduit hole with a goof plug to keep chips out of the switch contacts, too.

When I first got my Bridgeport, I pulled off the wire nuts, and crimped on ring terminals for #6 screws, then stacked the terminals to make the desired connections, used a screw, nut and lockwasher to hold them together, and then put heat shrink tubing over the terminals. This way, if I ever need/want to swtich it to 480V operation, I don't have to add flex wear to the wires by uncrewing wire nuts, trying to straighen the leads and re-twist them, and then put wire nuts back on them.

O.K. That is personal -- but you can relocte the drum switch to a place which you do find more convenient -- and I find it easier to work the switch and a pot with oil-covered fingers than a set of membrane keypad switches.

Hmm ... while you are about it, get one of those red mushroom cap panic switches to hook in series with the common lead from the VFD, so you can stop the spindle quickly at need -- for example a badly out-of-balance fly cutter causing the machine to dance around the shop floor. :-)

O.K. While I believe in using the drum switch and keeping the VFD's keypad out of the way of hot chips and the like -- and keeping the operating habits as close to the same as possible.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Using the keypad to control the mill sacrifices much of the benefit the VFD offers. I find large FWD-STOP-REV pushbuttons and a speed pot in a convenient location a huge improvement over the the keypad, especially when drilling and power tapping, drilling and reaming, or for any operation where it's desirable to make quick speed changes or start/stop/reverse easily.

Ned Simmons

You may wish to reconsider not remoting a stop/forward/rev switch the first time you try to tap something.........

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

STOP! Use the drum switch to control fwd/stop/rev

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

My own VFD is different, it is a Delta S1. It has a pot and on/off buttons, OK to use with a greasy hand.

Reply to
Ignoramus14615

I'll trust power tapping... once I find a nice used CNC with RT option... until then I hand tap.

Reply to
Pete C.

Its your machine, use or not use it as you choose.

Shrug

Gunner, who power taps regularly with his Gorton MasterMill and a VFD

Reply to
Gunner

Do you use a tapping head or what? How do you hold taps?

Reply to
Ignoramus14615

I generally use the same drill chuck I drilled the hole with. If Im going to tap more than 10 holes, I might install one of my Versa Taps in the big drill press (also with a pendant and a VFD btw)

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

A big AMEN to that. I do it on a Bridgeport and wouldn't think of going back to hand tapping for 80 or 90 % of the threaded holes. Peice of cake. ( It did scare me the first few times I saw it being done ) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Don't know about Gunner but here is what I do:

Works like a charm. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Very nice concept. I like them.

Personally, I have a tapping head that is good up to 3/8. MT2

Ignoramus14615

What's the advantage over simply holding the tap in the chuck? Up to

3/8 or so an Albrecht chuck works fine for me. For larger taps, where the Albrecht may release when backing out, I use a keyed chuck.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

So, Ned, does the tap ever slip inside the chuck?

Reply to
Ignoramus20727

On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:07:01 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Ooh, nice tubafore, lew! What finish is that? ;)

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a Hardinge HC Chucker that I would sell. $2000 OBO. Some tooling included. The machine is located in Central Illinois.

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

I have a Hardinge HC Chucker that I would sell. $2000 OBO. Some tooling included. The machine is located in Central Illinois.

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

The last time I can recall a problem was tapping 3/4-10 holes in a big piece of 1-1/4" Blanchard ground plate. The tap I had on hand looked OK, but on close inspection was dull. With a new tap I was able to drive the tap in a 5/8" ball bearing chuck.

I have a tap driver that has an adjustable clutch and end float, but about the only thing I use it for is tapping the ends of 80-20 or Item aluminum extrusion. You occasionally get a length that's unusually gummy and the clutch helps to avoid buggering the hole.

Reply to
Ned Simmons